• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

home made booster pak?

You can buy one at Home Depot for like $40, why waste your time.

The batteries in booster packs are sealed so they won't leak. Motorcycle batteries (unless they've changed since I stopped riding) are lead-acid batteries that are vented and can dump sulphuric acid on you or on the interior of your heap.

I'd just buy one.

Eagle said:
The batteries in booster packs are sealed so they won't leak. Motorcycle batteries (unless they've changed since I stopped riding) are lead-acid batteries that are vented and can dump sulphuric acid on you or on the interior of your heap.

I'd just buy one.

Yes many have changed

interesting idea, if you like to tinker. I used to get gel-cells from batteries.com for science olympiad stuff when I was coaching Science O.

Eagle said:

I'd just buy one.

They have changed ,but a sealed gell cell motorcycle battery with enough amps sells for more than a booster pack. Why bother

when I was working at a ford dealer in CO a guy brought in his explorer for somthing... I popped his hood and he had a tiny battery under there.... dont remember what it was exactly, but it was a gel cell type he was tinkering with.... kinda neat 5 years ago, but the technology has come along quick.

like others have said, those boosters have come down in the last few years...cheap now.

fordtech said:
when I was working at a ford dealer in CO a guy brought in his explorer for somthing... I popped his hood and he had a tiny battery under there.... dont remember what it was exactly, but it was a gel cell type he was tinkering with.... kinda neat 5 years ago, but the technology has come along quick.

like others have said, those boosters have come down in the last few years...cheap now.

I have seent he tiny ones. There were some out that you had to run 2 of them.
I would not use a motorcycle battery. It wont have the juice to do much for a car for starting.

The problem with the higheramp models is if you want a high amp model they can cost over 200.00,so it seems the higher up in amps you go the higher the price.

What makes the homemade version appealing to me is I can buy an optima for 120.00 and make it into a 800amp booster...and buy 12volt outlets to wire to it and have a nice power pack with a decent reserve capacity for camping and power tools.....not to mention a spare battery for the jeep.With a final cost of around $140.00 it's cheaper than the high amp boosters I've seen.

For instance:http://www.toolsource.com/ost/produ...4960&mscssid=KG51UUDW65RR9MWK787F83T8LNGXA85E

Last edited:
jeepdeepfreak said:
With a final cost of around $140.00 it's cheaper than the high amp boosters I've seen.

...bigger too.

actually it is a good idea you have, but with an optima it will be bulkier, not as neatly packaged, and cumbersome. Otherwise it would be better, and cheaper..... give it a shot and let us know your thoughts.

Back