• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TPS, Tranny, ?

JeepinTone

NAXJA Forum User
Trying to figure out what the heck is wrong with my Jeep (96 XJ, auto). Earlier tonight noticed that it was shifting funny. It takes up til about 4500 RPMS to shift out of first. The fluid is full and looks to be good, smells a little burned. Did some searching, but didn't find anything that was directly related, so thought I would see if anyone else had the same issue. Doesn't seem to matter if I tromp on it or take off slowly..still pretty much same results.

Read the voltage off of the TPS, seemed to be within normal range.

ANy help is great.

Tony

You stated the fluid has a burnt smell, I would start off with a tranny service, by draining the fluid and replacing the filter.

Does it gain MPH while going up to 4500 rpms?

Or does it go up in RPMs, but doesnt move very great?

Have you checked your tranny kickdown cable on the intake?
I had a 93 do this and got it to shift a little better for a while by adjusting this cable. Eventually I gave up on it, as it was 2wd.

It'll go like a bat out of hell the whole way through. Once it shifts out of first it seems to be pretty much normal.

I am thinking I'll just change the fluid first and see what happens.

JeepinTone said:
It'll go like a bat out of hell the whole way through. Once it shifts out of first it seems to be pretty much normal.

I am thinking I'll just change the fluid first and see what happens.
Change the fluid, check/reset the TV cable, sounds like it may be broken.
Also look at the speed sensor connections.
If this happened suddenly I would doubt it's serious, you could also have a solenoid sticking so add a can of SeaFoam "TransCure" with the new fluid.

XJjeepLess said:
I would start off with a tranny service, by draining the fluid and replacing the filter.

The 96 doesn't have a filter just a screen. Normally all they need is to dump the fluid and refill.
If you need to do a complete fluid change, disconnect a cooling line and use the transmission pump to pump the old out while pouring fresh in.
Use Dexron III

Back