• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Noise from wheel area?

ZachMan

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
I finally tracked down this little noise I sometimes hear while driving. I can push on my Jeeps rear tires inward and hear the sound. I am not sure if its the brakes or just the leafsprings or something in the axle. Anyone know? BTW I have an RE 4.5" (2 weeks old) and 33s if it matters.

I can push on my jeeps rear tire as hard as I want to and it aint going to do anything but sit there.

I think we need a better description of what you,and or the jeep is doing.

L.R.

LoneRanger said:
I can push on my jeeps rear tire as hard as I want to and it aint going to do anything but sit there.

I think we need a better description of what you,and or the jeep is doing.

L.R.

When the Jeep is on the ground I push on the wheel and it makes a noise a metalic noise, nothing bad, but enough for me to hear it while driving also. The Jeep moves some cause the tires move some when I push on it.

Also it makes the noise everyday pulling into my neighborhood, every day a left turn and it does it....thinking it might be my wheel bearings. I am regearing next week and ordered a master install kit, might have to order new bearings.

Last edited:
ZachMan said:
When the Jeep is on the ground I push on the wheel and it makes a noise a metalic noise, nothing bad, but enough for me to hear it while driving also. The Jeep moves some cause the tires move some when I push on it.

Also it makes the noise everyday pulling into my neighborhood, every day a left turn and it does it....thinking it might be my wheel bearings. I am regearing next week and ordered a master install kit, might have to order new bearings.

The bearings are unit bearings, and you can do independant of the master install kit.. but if its that bad, go order them now. :) It indeed does sound like a unit bearing.

You get what you pay for. Get a good quality brand.. Timken probably.

cal said:
The bearings are unit bearings, and you can do independant of the master install kit.. but if its that bad, go order them now. :) It indeed does sound like a unit bearing.

You get what you pay for. Get a good quality brand.. Timken probably.

Well its not bad at all, I figure I'll wait and let m axle man take a look next weekend.

Do rear bearings run as much $$$ as the fronts? I hope they are less since there is no hub, etc.

ZachMan said:
Well its not bad at all, I figure I'll wait and let m axle man take a look next weekend.

Do rear bearings run as much $$$ as the fronts? I hope they are less since there is no hub, etc.

No, rears are cheap. The rears for my 8.25 were about $35. I'm buying new rears for my 44 this weekend, so we'll see. :)

ZachMan said:
I finally tracked down this little noise I sometimes hear while driving. I can push on my Jeeps rear tires inward and hear the sound. I am not sure if its the brakes or just the leafsprings or something in the axle. Anyone know? BTW I have an RE 4.5" (2 weeks old) and 33s if it matters.

uhhh...he's talking about the rear axle...and unless the workers on the assembly line that day were smoking crack when they assembled his xj,unit bearings are on the front.

jeepdeepfreak said:
uhhh...he's talking about the rear axle...and unless the workers on the assembly line that day were smoking crack when they assembled his xj,unit bearings are on the front.

Hrm. Your right. Somehow i had front tires in my mind. Whoops. :)

So is it just my brakes then? no rear wheel bearings?

I have a '99

My 93 XJ rear wheel moves in and out too. I also have a thump thump noise some times when I put on the brakes. I know its rear b/c I had the drum turned and it went away for a long time. Are the rear axles supost to move? Im not trying to tread jack im trying to let you know your not alone.

ZachMan said:
So is it just my brakes then? no rear wheel bearings?

I have a '99

Well. Does the wheel /tilt/ in and out, or slide in and out?

If your rear axle is c-clip, which it likely is, the wheel will slide in and out just a hair. That's normal..

Back