• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Periodic starter problems

BAs96XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I did a search and found only the starter relay as a culprit. I have changed that so I need other suggestions. I have a 96 with 156k. The starter has never been replaced. Every once in a blue moon my XJ will not start. I have power, the battery is good but the starter just won't turn. It doesn't even click. Luckily, I have a 5 speed so I can always push start. It has done this 3 times in the last month or so. Should I just bite the bullet and replace the starter? I know the armature will sometimes get bad spots in them where the brushes are worn and won't move. What do you guys think?

BA

It's probably the starter, but before you bite the bullet, You might want to do a very careful checking and cleaning of the terminals at both the starter and battery end. If the starter still misbehaves, try taking a stick or something like that and hitting it. If that makes it work, you probably need to get your starter repaired or replaced. It could be brushes, or the contacts in the starter solenoid. If you're adventurous, you might even be able to replace the brushes yourself, and possibly open up the solenoid and freshen up the contacts. I haven't been inside an XJ starter, but some Delcos, for example, can be rejuvenated by removing the studs in the solenoid and just turning them around.

XJ starters are pretty pricey, even rebuilt. It might be worthwhile to check out local repair places, if you can afford the downtime. I just got a quote to rewind the field on a scarce Prestolite starter (actually the motor for my snowplow lift) for 30 bucks.

Back