• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

xj underheating problem!

bonzo

NAXJA Forum User
Hello, I've done the search and I know I should at first replace the tstat, but I feel I should at least check the temp sensor before I start ripping stuff out. My problem is that I can't seem to locate the temp sensor (for the temp guage) on my block. I believe its on the driverside close to the firewall, under the exhaust.
Anyone happen to have some PICS? Where does the wire route to?

I just can't seem to find that little bastard.

Thanks for your time.

Bob

on my 88 it is in the back of the head, one wire hook up drivers side almost all the way back

It's on the D.side, back(next to the firewall) and top of the head(not under the exhaust). Right next to the valve cover.

Check to see if your heater blows hot with the engine warm. If it doesn't it's most likely the t-stat stuck or broke open (that is if your heater controls are functioning correctly.) Another quick way to check the gauge/sender is with an infrared temp gun and gather readings then compare them with the dash gauge. Good luck.

If there is no heat the system could not be pressurized too. Check your cap.

Get a thermometer and read the temp of the air in the vent it should be around 100 degrees. No thats not normal, you should be at 210. Check the sensor.

FUNKYTEE5 said:
Check to see if your heater blows hot with the engine warm. If it doesn't it's most likely the t-stat stuck or broke open (that is if your heater controls are functioning correctly.) Another quick way to check the gauge/sender is with an infrared temp gun and gather readings then compare them with the dash gauge. Good luck.

My heater blows warm air, but not hot air. I don't have access to an infared gun and my local autoparts store does not rent them. by the sounds of it im looking way too low for the sensor. If i messure my coolent temperature with a cooking thermo would that be accurate?

Also, I need a 195f tstat without a jiggle value right?
All I can find is 192F, and I don't want to fuk around because this is my second tstat in under 6 months.

Thanks for everyones help.

Erik

bonzo said:
My heater blows warm air, but not hot air. I don't have access to an infared gun and my local autoparts store does not rent them. by the sounds of it im looking way too low for the sensor. If i messure my coolent temperature with a cooking thermo would that be accurate?

Also, I need a 195f tstat without a jiggle value right?
All I can find is 192F, and I don't want to fuk around because this is my second tstat in under 6 months.

Thanks for everyones help.

Erik
Can you order online with NAPA 192F in odd in the US.

Replaced my tstat, checked the guage(it goes all the way when grounded). Anything else I should do? I'm sick of throwing time and money at problems without *really* knowing what the problem is.. I'm guessing the next step is to install a new sensor, after I get a mechanic to messure with an infared?

What do you guys think?

Thanks

MY .02 is that you should pull the sensor and clean it with a rag that has alcoh.also put a really small hook into the sensor hole and see if its clogged.

Back