• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken LCA Axle Mount, HELP

rokclimbertx

NAXJA Member #1267
hey guys...

didn't find anything helpful searching so... the LCA mount on the XJ broke tonite... i'm sure i can find someone to weld it up temporarily but i'd like a more permanent fix so i'm in need of suggestions... google was no help either, maybe i just wasn't searching for the right thing...

how it broke: making a u-turn, it was apparently cracked but went unnoticed... the crack/break is right against the axle more or less, both sides of the mount so the LCA is hanging...

will the temp fix work well enough until other measures can be taken?

how have you guys handled this?

any kind of aftermarket bracket available? preferably heavy duty...

thanks!

i guess a reweld with some added support could be permanent... just thinkin that something a little heavy dutier might be better in the long run... had some rear lower shock mounts busted & rewelded 3 times here so my trust in the welders around here aint all that high... LOL...

i'll check my RE catalog for the brackets, surely they dont run $475 just for brackets...

rokclimbertx said:
i guess a reweld with some added support could be permanent... just thinkin that something a little heavy dutier might be better in the long run... had some rear lower shock mounts busted & rewelded 3 times here so my trust in the welders around here aint all that high... LOL...

i'll check my RE catalog for the brackets, surely they dont run $475 just for brackets...
Trick is to weld inside and outside of that mount. Then get something along the lines of the orgs lca skid (or make one yourself) and weld it to the mount and the axle and then effectively you've kind of triangulated it. If that rips off, then either you should fire the welder, or the ripped of mount is the least of your worries :D

that makes sense remi... i'll run it by the guy i plan to take the jeep to... sure is fun to drive with a LCA not connected... looks like i wont be making the stars game tomorrow... may have to put the tickets up as bait, LOL...

still haven't found the RE brackets (just the hella expensive kit on their website, nada in the catalog) but did locate some on Rusty's...

we'll see what this new mechanic i found can fab up... know a FJ40 guy in bonham an hour from here but that would be a really long drive with things the way they are...

The factory only welds the outside of the mounts, so it's not uncommon for them to break. On mine, I did like Remi suggested...welded the inside and outside of the factory mounts and then added JKS mini-skids, which are welded to the LCA mounts and the axle. http://www.jksmfg.com/db/miniskids/
While your welder is beefing the LCA mounts, if you have a non-disco axle, have him hit the pass side UCA mount too.
miniskids_shopping_cart.jpg

rokclimbertx said:

don't you know everything always costs more in texas?

ladywolf said:
don't you know everything always costs more in Texas?

Corrected it for ya. :)

lol thanks mingo. whats the weather like in CO today?

ladywolf said:
lol thanks mingo. whats the weather like in CO today?

Western Slope, sunny and warm 40s or so.

Denver area :dunno:

rokclimbertx said:
the LCA mount on the XJ broke tonite...
Good time to put on those TnT lower arms that you won at the FF. Or have you done that already ?

mingo said:
Western Slope, sunny and warm 40s or so.

Denver area :dunno:

Better than iraq.....cold windy, and all the sudden the way higher ups decided we had to take down our texas flag, we can no longer wear pt's anywhere NEAR our workplace, etc. .
why? because they can, and they have nothing better to do.

rokclimbertx said:
found a place just around the corner that is gonna weld things up and add the skids like you guys pictured...

now, hows that RE website know i'm in Texas? freaking technology...

take down ur Texas flag??? there's another vote for our own republic like the good 'ol days...

its kind of like how vehicles cost more in texas. i was looking at the difference in vehicle price by area......texas is more expensive than WA for 4x4 vehicles, GO FIGURE that one.

Back