• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tranny and steering column unlock

90xjDave

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Guys,
I just picked up a parts jeep (88 xj, AW4) and the lady that had it lost the keys. Is there anyway of unlocking the steering wheel and the tranny without the keys so that I can steer the thing and shift it into neutral to get it up on a trailer?

thnx
Dave

You can either pick the lock (if you have the wherewithal - not everyone does) or remove the steering wheel, remove the lock cylinder, and turn the "switch" behind the lock cylinder with a screwdriver (that's all the lock is for, usually.)

You can set the steering wheel back in place to steer, or remove the lock cylinder and leave it out until you can replace - or rekey it - later.

5-90

5-90 said:
You can either pick the lock (if you have the wherewithal - not everyone does) or remove the steering wheel, remove the lock cylinder, and turn the "switch" behind the lock cylinder with a screwdriver (that's all the lock is for, usually.)

You can set the steering wheel back in place to steer, or remove the lock cylinder and leave it out until you can replace - or rekey it - later.

5-90

Yep, that second part is probably your best bet. You'll need a steering wheel puller and a friend to help you compress the lock plate while you pop off the c-clip. Underneath is the multi-function switch and the key cylinder... IIRC, at this point you should be able to remove it and just turn the whole thing with a screwdriver. Tear into it and you'll figure it out pretty easily I'm sure.

Once you get the ingintion switch out you should be able to manually move the connecing rod for the tranny.

Come to think of it, you may not have to even pull the switch or the lock plate. There is a nub that you can access for the steering wheel(will be obviouse) contacts the lockplate. You may be able to reach the tranny connecting rod with just the wheel and the discs removed.

Ive been into my solumn twice the last 2 days. I suppose ill say its easy because after several times n a short amount of time,....one develops a system.
I did it in order to tighten the bolts taht hold the tilting column bolts to the rest of the column...thats the best way i can think of to say it...Anyhoo i say that becuase i had to go BEYOND the area you need to get to. Its not tough really at all. Unless youre intimidated by taking things apart, some people are.Allthough working on jeeps is essentially a part of owning one. I digress. You will have to have a wheel puller,...$15.00 rent at teh Auto Zonerr. The "c-clip" everyone referrs to is a pita sometimes but i was able to remove it easily with a little angling and a flat head screwdriver.once the plate comes off,..its all downhill as far as removeal.4 screws, i am pretty sure, all phillips heads, and you are at your key lock.Its held in by a small torx bit.I wanna say it was a 15 but since those usually come in an assortment, you should have the correct one.You pull that screw out, and poof, the key cylendar slides right out. I have replaced my key cylendar (sp?) before on my 89' so i no its avail at most parts stores.Or you can leave it like before mentioned 2 use with a screwdriver. Ill post a like here i used yesterday, its muy excellente and has some grreat diagrams and pics. Good luck!
http://www.chevyasylum.com/column/tiltcol.html (its for an elcamino but its the same column, outsourcing you know)

http://www.jeepxj.com/JeepXJ/Steering Wheel Removel/steeringwheelremovel.htm
(I found another one)

http://www.elcaminocentral.com/article95.html <----- this one has exploded diagrams in it showign the tranny lock mechanisim. Kay im done adding things,.....

Last edited:
Back