• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

best plugs/ wires/ cap and rotor?

Twisted XJ said:
What are the best plugs/ wires/ cap and rotor for performance enhancement?
I expect a big variance in opinion on products.

Factory chapion truck plugs are great...as are the HI-Performance wires from Jeep. IIRC the wires ran $40.00 give or take...

Cap and rotor...find brass guts...they work excellent.

Everything mentioned is good stuff. I use NGK plugs, Accel wires, and a wells gold rotor

Napa for the cap& rotor--you want brass terminals
Jeep for the wires-stock price is hard to beat,NAPA for life-time warrenty
Champion for plugs
Wayne

Go to your local dealership parts department and get a tune-up kit for a 4.0L. It consists of a distributor cap, rotor and a set of exact fit OEM plug wires. If you have a good relationship with the parts department staff, you might get lucky and get it at just over dealer cost.(What the dealer actually pays for it: $25.99) which is way less than you'd pay for those 3 things seperately at Napa, Advance, etc. Even if they charge you dealer list price: $43.35, it's still slightly less than buying aftermarket.

Part# is SPC40604AA

As far as spark plugs go, to each his own. I won't say what I recommend/don't recommend on that topic.

Twisted XJ said:
What are the best plugs/ wires/ cap and rotor for performance enhancement?
I expect a big variance in opinion on products.
I too need new plugs and wires and was hoping someone had a certain brand at one point and switched to another. I think the key words for TwistedXJ were - performance enhancement-. This is obviously what I'm looking for too. With all the replies, it seems like one brand isn't much better then the next... is that true? Is there a choice that is more of an upgrade, rather than a replacement? (Didn't mean to barge in on your thread, but I think we seek the same answer.)

dp2001xj said:
I too need new plugs and wires and was hoping someone had a certain brand at one point and switched to another. I think the key words for TwistedXJ were - performance enhancement-. This is obviously what I'm looking for too. With all the replies, it seems like one brand isn't much better then the next... is that true? Is there a choice that is more of an upgrade, rather than a replacement? (Didn't mean to barge in on your thread, but I think we seek the same answer.)
If you have a 2001 XJ as your handle signifies, you DON'T have plug wires. You have a common rail ignition. Distributorless. The only thing you need are plugs.

Hey rstarch345, are you stalking me?? Thats right, starchy, I got a little high and posted the same ignorant statement about wires on my 2001 on two separate forums. I would still like to see a comparo though. Now that I feel like a COMPLETE jackarse, I'm gonna go crawl into a deep dark hole.

I went to Bosch plugs & wires with a Welles rotor and they seem good.

But honestly I don't know if it would have been the same if I had used any other kind.

Back