• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How did you mount your roof rack

LS1Jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
? to the people that put a roof rack on there XJ that didn't come from the factory with one...

other than gutter mount I don't really want to do that ..

LS1Jeep said:
Then I suppose pulling the headliner, drilling sixteen 3/8" holes though the roof, and bolting the rack to steel threaded strips is completely out of the question, huh.

LS1Jeep said:
? to the people that put a roof rack on there XJ that didn't come from the factory with one...

Gutter mount is about your best choice. Otherwise you can drill holes through the roof, or use giant magnets. :) There is also the exocage/halo/rack option..

LS1Jeep said:

Looks like you're out of luck.

If you don't have a factory rack you mount it to the gutter rails. Or..........start drilling holes in your roof.

:dunno:

kid4lyf said:
Then I suppose pulling the headliner, drilling sixteen 3/8" holes though the roof, and bolting the rack to steel threaded strips is completely out of the question, huh.

No thats what I'm prob gonna do I just wondered if anybody had used somthing different

cal said:
Gutter mount is about your best choice. Otherwise you can drill holes through the roof, or use giant magnets. :) There is also the exocage/halo/rack option..

Magnets would be a good idea, but it's made from alum ..

Just curious, but you would rather drill a bunch of holes in your roof than just use gutter mounts?

Why not use gutter mounts?

I did not want to use the gutter mounts when I put a Surco on my 96. Not sure why...I just like to be a PITA. I wanted to use the factory rack. Surco didn't offer a way for me to do that. I looked at using small U bolts and securing it that way. In the end I just went with the gutter mounts and I've been very happy.

x550x said:
Just curious, but you would rather drill a bunch of holes in your roof than just use gutter mounts?

Why not use gutter mounts?

I don't like the way they look... unless there are some different ones .. the pics I saw they were huge and stuck out real far ?

Here is a pretty general shot of what the confer bull-dog clamps look like. They don't look too awful and I'm really happy with how they have held up under stress. I've had quite a variety of crap up there and the rack refuses to budge!
DSCN1930.jpg

FarmerMatt's got it going on.

I made my own gutter mounts similar to the ConFerr ones, and they lasted a while, but eventually I had too many run-ins with trees and stuff and they just ripped the whole gutter apart. I had two runs where I had to ratchet-strap the rack to my roof to make it home without it falling off. If I ever put a roof rack on again (which isn't really that likely), I'll do the inserts like Matt did to keep the mounting and rack itself a little more inboard.

I made my first rack to mount to the factory rails. I even replaced the factory anchors with new ones first. They started pulling out in less than a year. Unless you actually bolt it to the sheetmetal of the roof, gutter mounts are way stronger. The strongest point on the roof is the gutter.

I'm really not sure now if I even want to fool with the rack ... cause more than likely with my luck a tree limb or somthing could tear the gutters up, or bow the roof outta shape and make it leak ....

I vote for no rack. If you have 33" or smaller tires the spare will fit behind the rear seat.
DCP_1148.jpg

DCP_1214.jpg

DCP_1207.jpg

how in the world did you do that and where? i dont remember you having a roof rack at NWfest?

opracer315 said:
I vote for no rack. If you have 33" or smaller tires the spare will fit behind the rear seat.

Thats what I thought would happen .. really the only thing I wanted it for was to mount lights on and carry ski's

Think I'll just sell it

ladywolf said:
how in the world did you do that and where? i dont remember you having a roof rack at NWfest?
That was at Liberty in May before NWFest. A low tree limb took it off.

Back