• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

all u junkyard dogs

Cupcake

NAXJA Member #1377
well i am on the search for a dana 44 my local yards are Wilmington PnP and Ecology if you can take a look around your local yards for some 44s let me know!!! if you find me one i will pay a reward :D

cupcake

This Friday thru Monday is half-price weekend at PAP. It would be a good time to look.

kev0 said:
well i am on the search for a dana 44 my local yards are Wilmington PnP and Ecology if you can take a look around your local yards for some 44s let me know!!! if you find me one i will pay a reward :D
Take a trip to a yard on a weekly basis :D If pulled, I hear that the 44's go for about $350 :D (about $125 ~$150 if you do it yourself ;) )

looks like i am going hunting on friday if i find one i will get it and maybe even on saturday hopefully i can find one

cupcake

i went to the Ecology off imperial highway today, 5 cherokees but no 44's 3 of them have 4.0's and were put out today. so if u need parts they are ripe for the pickin.

I actually found my D44 at the Pick-your-part in Longbeach, you should also give that place a shot, they do have a couple cherokees everytime i go. Make sure its the bigone, they have 2 yards close to eachother

Last edited:
no thanks the lowest he would go is $500 and i dont have that kind of money

cupcake

i am waking at 7 tommorow to go on the search i will find a 44 even if i die trying and i use my muscles..... how far is simi valley from torrance?

cupcake

Well if you dont find one. One way auto salvage in Alhambra shows to have one for 400 and they may take a little less.. Just a thought

kev0 said:
i am waking at 7 tommorow to go on the search i will find a 44 even if i die trying and i use my muscles..... how far is simi valley from torrance?

cupcake

Simi valley is a long drive. Not undoable, but its a good ways out the 118.. maybe 45 miles?

man I hope pick a part in Wilmington has one they are having a 50% off sale this weekend.

cupcake

well what about a 8.8" out of a exploder. Thats always a option right? I mean with who all is comign over one of them could hang some perches on it for ya? Then the only issue is the rear yoke and MORE can over night one to ya. I got my 8.8 complete for 110$ from PAP near Knotts..

ROBERTK said:
well what about a 8.8" out of a exploder. Thats always a option right? I mean with who all is comign over one of them could hang some perches on it for ya? Then the only issue is the rear yoke and MORE can over night one to ya. I got my 8.8 complete for 110$ from PAP near Knotts..

The problem with an 8.8 is the diff is -freaking huge-, and gets hung up constantly if your running smaller than 33 or 35's.

cal said:
The problem with an 8.8 is the diff is -freaking huge-, and gets hung up constantly if your running smaller than 33 or 35's.

Really. Thats odd I have read in nurmerous articles that the 8.8 Centerline of tube to bottom of housing is only 5-7/8" and a Stock Dana 35 is 5". and that the clear under diff between a D35 and 8.8 is 10.25" as compared to 9.4 with a 33" tire.. so thats only like 7/8" total. With a ring gear of 7.5 in the D35 an 8.8 in the 8.8 (had to state that haha), thats a larger difference then only 7/8". with a ring gear of I think its 8.5ish in the D44 that would have to make me think that the 8.8" rear can only hang like a 1/4" - 3/8" lower? if thats so then theres not really a big different?

Not to mention you get a limited slip that is better then nada if you arent getting a locker off the bat?

ROBERTK said:
Really. Thats odd I have read in nurmerous articles that the 8.8 Centerline of tube to bottom of housing is only 5-7/8" and a Stock Dana 35 is 5". and that the clear under diff between a D35 and 8.8 is 10.25" as compared to 9.4 with a 33" tire.. so thats only like 7/8" total. With a ring gear of 7.5 in the D35 an 8.8 in the 8.8 (had to state that haha), thats a larger difference then only 7/8". with a ring gear of I think its 8.5ish in the D44 that would have to make me think that the 8.8" rear can only hang like a 1/4" - 3/8" lower? if thats so then theres not really a big different?

Not to mention you get a limited slip that is better then nada if you arent getting a locker off the bat?
8.8 is pretty big. It's bigger then D35 and D44. Also you can get a limited slip in a D44 as well. The only upside to an 8.8 is if you get one with disk brakes already on it and 4.11 gears (if that's the gear ratio you're after).

ROBERTK said:
Then the only issue is the rear yoke and MORE can over night one to ya.

What?

You just take it off of the driveshaft on the explorer. If you are good when you are in the junk yard, you take it off of the driveshaft and bolt it onto the axle and go to the register. They won't charge you any more for it that way. You will need those bolts anyway.

Why spend the cash with M.O.R.E. to have it overnighted? lastara

And Cal, the pumpkin is quite large but my main problem with it was not on 33s but with 35s out at JV. I would recommend the 8.8 over and over again and if I was going to stay on 35s I would keep it. Now TNT has some cool trusses for it too!

88truss2.gif

88truss1.gif

ROBERTK said:

Limited Slips are lastara . Be a man, use a locker.

Another downfall with the 8.8 is that the pinion sits 1.25" lower than a Dana axle (44, 35, 60, whatever). You hit your driveshaft quite a bit more with the 8.8 because of this. I have bent two shafts this year.

Again, I would recommend this over and over again OVER the Dana 44. I know of two 44s with bent tubes (Remi!)

cracker said:
What?

You just take it off of the driveshaft on the explorer. If you are good when you are in the junk yard, you take it off of the driveshaft and bolt it onto the axle and go to the register. They won't charge you any more for it that way. You will need those bolts anyway.

Why spend the cash with M.O.R.E. to have it overnighted? lastara

So did I waste my doh on the flange to "allow me to retain my XJ driveshaft"? They told me (and I believed them) that the stock flange on the 8.8 I have would not fit the same stock size ujoint on the XJ shaft I have now? is that true?

Back