• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

sye front driveshaft

jeepinxj99

NAXJA Forum User
im in desperate need of a sye and driveshaft, ive heard of being able to use stock front driveshafts, is there any problems associated? im on a tight budget here and it needs to get done...any years to stay away from?

I just did my SYE/front shaft combo a couple of weeks ago. I have a 99 and used a front shaft from a 99 with low miles ($20). I replaced the ujoints with greasable ones and bolted it right up. Works great....I'm at 4" of lift. Got rid of all my acceleration vibes. I still have a touch of vibration at 70+mph but nothing like before the install. People run this combo with 5" of lift and overall I haven't heard of any big problems. May want to consider getting the shaft balanced.

I've been running a front shaft in the rear with RE HnT for about 6 months now with no problems. Do a search, lots of info. I did all my research here so I know its available. I have a writeup on mine over at Jeepforum.com if you want to search there too.

I've been running the PORC sye and the front shaft off of like a 94 or somethin, but it works great. The total i spent on the whole thing was about 210 bucks and I'm vibe free. Just make sure the donor shaft comes off of a jeep with an automatic, and np231.

johnsoninc86 said:
Just make sure the donor shaft comes off of a jeep with an automatic, and np231.

When I went searching in the salvage yard for my driveshaft, the best one I could find came out of a 93 with the np242. I compared it to one that came out of another xj with the 231, and was identical. I took it home and it bolted right up with zero modifications.

AZ XJ said:
When I went searching in the salvage yard for my driveshaft, the best one I could find came out of a 93 with the np242. I compared it to one that came out of another xj with the 231, and was identical. I took it home and it bolted right up with zero modifications.
I pulled mine off a 242, I'm hoping everythings the same, it came off a '90 but the shaft is in better codition than my front driveshaft lol.

Wait a minute,

So you guys are saying that instead of getting a new shaft made for me out of my old one I can just go and buy a front shaft from the junk yard and bolt it in?

Thats the first I've heard of this. SO... I could actually have the same shafts front and rear and I that way I'd only have to carry one spare instead of two different ones?

File 05 said:
Wait a minute,

So you guys are saying that instead of getting a new shaft made for me out of my old one I can just go and buy a front shaft from the junk yard and bolt it in?

Thats the first I've heard of this. SO... I could actually have the same shafts front and rear and I that way I'd only have to carry one spare instead of two different ones?

Bingo! Works great.

Well it usually doesnt just "bolt in"...you will have to do the hack and tap to your output shaft and probably have the driveshaft lengthened or shortened depending on the shaft itself. But it is easy to do and VERY cheap.

Jeffro600 said:
Well it usually doesnt just "bolt in"...you will have to do the hack and tap to your output shaft and probably have the driveshaft lengthened or shortened depending on the shaft itself. But it is easy to do and VERY cheap.

Actually, mine bolted right up...no modification necessary. I have a 99 AW4 auto and used a front shaft from a 99 AW4. The front shaft from a manual is a bit shorter than the one from an auto.

And I used a HD SYE, not the Hack N crap your pants if you don't cut and tap correctly.

When I took out my hack n crap I replaced it with a j b conversions sye.
While I was waiting for my Tom Woods driveshaft to be delivered I used the front shaft for a few days. Bolted right up w/ no problems.
For a temporary fix it works great.
For a permanent fix use Tom Woods.
2000 xj with 231, chry 8.25 and 6" of lift.

Ok,here's my question,
This front to rear ds can only be used on an auto tranny?Is there any way to make it work on a 89 5 speed with d-35?I already have jb's hd sye installed in my 231....

I don't want to spend 300.00+ on a custom shaft and I already have spare front shaft laying around.

jeepdeepfreak said:
Ok,here's my question,
This front to rear ds can only be used on an auto tranny?Is there any way to make it work on a 89 5 speed with d-35?I already have jb's hd sye installed in my 231....

I don't want to spend 300.00+ on a custom shaft and I already have spare front shaft laying around.

All you have to do is measure.
On the front, measure center of u-joint on the axle to center of u-joint on the transfercase. Do the same for the rear and compare measurements. If they are within an inch of each other you should be ok. Just depends on your lift and you also want to make sure you have enough spline contact. You also need A 1310 u-joint in your d35. You should, but I'm not familiar with the 35.

jeepdeep, you want to use a front driveshaft from an auto xj (231/242, dont' matter) because they will be the same length. The front DS on a stick XJ is a little shorter since the manual tranny is shorter.

Now, you probalby won't be able to JUST bolt a front xj shaft up in your case for two reason 1) with your shorter tranny, your rear driveshaft is longer and 2) with the d35 yoke being shorter, your driveshaft is even longer.

That is a good thing in terms of being able to lift a little higher than some other XJs without worrying about the angles, but bad if you want to bolt a front shat up without any mods. The auto and 8.25 rear are just about the right length for the bolt-up with no modifications.

You may still be able to use a front shaft though. You could have it's length modified at a shop, which won't be cheap, but cheaper than a whole new shaft. Also, ask either timmay or deke over on jeepin.com what they did exactly. They needed just a little bit more length to run the front ds in the back, so they got a slightly longer part of the driveshaft from a junk yard, you know the female part that is shorter, which made the length just right. I'm not sure how to tell what other shafts you can borrow half of to bolt up to it though, so definitely talk to him before you try to do this.

I myself am planning on doing this soon. I've had an extra front shaft for almost a year now! I've done my research and am just waiting for the right time/funds.

mjma said:
You may still be able to use a front shaft though. You could have it's length modified at a shop, which won't be cheap, but cheaper than a whole new shaft.

Could very possibly be different, but my local driveline shop quoted me $80 to lengthen a stock front ds 1-2". I checked around thinking I would have to have it lengthened when I was preparing to do my sye, and turns out I didn't need it lengthened with 5-5.5" of lift. Works great, and has held up to some severe wheeling.

I just finished my sye/front shaft install yesterday and it works great. No one has posted results for a Dana 44/front shaft combo so I thought I would.

XJ Dana 44 axle
PORC HD SYE conversion
Front shaft from an auto XJ
My XJ has an AW4.
5 inches lift.
At ride height the drive shaft slip joint is extended 2 inches
With the axle hanging at full droop (8 inches) the drive shaft slip joint is extended 2-1/4 inches.
I cant fully compress the springs but since I have only 5 inches of bump travel and the springs have little arch at ride height I have no concerns about bottoming the shaft.

4 degree axle shim
2 inch lift from a shackle (adds 3 degrees)
Had to adjust the bastard pack accordingly to keep the lift at 5 inches.

John

I had to bring this post up from the dead to add a question...

Can I run front driveshaft with a 2" lift? Will it bottom out under full compression? If it's to long, will a manual shaft work? How about a TJ shaft?

I want to add a SYE to reduce vibes, but I don't want a custom shaft for my 2" BB. I also don't want to drop the t-case and negate the benefits of my BB.

Back