• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Time for NEW shocks!

Cherokeekid88

NAXJA Forum User
ok well my shocks are shot, and i need new ones bad. now i only have about 120 bucks to spend on 4 new shocks, so i wanna know what would be the best ones to go with. was looking at the Pro comp ES1000, but would also like everyones 2 cents on some good replacement shocks.

If you can save up and get some bilsteins or Old man emu I'd do that. But if you absolutely don't want to spend more than $120 then your choices are pretty limited. I've not heard anything good about Pro Comp shocks other than the MX6 ones and most people will tell you to avoid them. You can always go with DT3000 shocks from Rubicon Express. I've ran mine for 2 years and no problems. They are a decent bang for your buck.

My 2 cents.

How much lift do you have? Don't waste your money on ES1000 or ES3000 or any ProCrap shocks for that matter if you are on a tight budget, because the trashcan will appreciate those shocks more than you will, because that is where they will end up in about a month. DoetschTech 3000's aren't too bad for a Hydro shock, but they are still garbage in my opinion. sorry I don't have much more to affer as far as good shocks, because I can't think of anything I have ever run for that budget that was even worth wasting that much money.

im running a Rustys 2" BB, and i just need new shocks but i dont want to get garbage ones, but i cant save money for spit, ill end up spending the money on something else. but i mean what about rancho? Rustys? RE? SUperlift? Skyjacker? none of these companies make good shocks?

I'm not sure about what shocks to get, but I can tell you what not to buy. I've been running DT3000's for over a year now and they have got to be the worst shocks ever. It's almost as if their are no shocks on my jeep at all. These shocks are horrible and don't absorb a damn thing. I think I've even started to develop a back problem from the rough ride and I'm only 20...

I've ran Rancho's that were on my rig when i bought it for 3 years now. They allow all the flex my body will allow. They are supposed to be stiff but some times i feel they are too soft? My buddy runs Superlifts on his TJ, he has enormous flex and has never had a complaint. My other friend runs RE's on his YJ they seem very stiff. I'm up for new shocks myself- I'm going for one of three above.

What about going to napa and ordering the monroe sensatracs. You will probaby need to have them do some research to find the length you need, but they were really helpful for me, and the shocks were 32 bux each.

ok well i think i found the shcoks im gonna get. Honna get the Skyjacker Hydro shocks, gonna be 135 bucks totoal, which i can live with, and i hear good things about skyjacker, so is this a good choice?

I wasn't too impressed with the Skyjacker Hydro shocks. Just too stiff for my liking. As for someone mentioning Monroe Sensatracs, I already did that research and have the part numbers of the Sensatracs that would work great for 2-3" lift. The only catch to the rear is you need to either press in a bar pin, or get some bar pin eliminators. Adds a little to the cost, but the ride quality will be much better than any of those Hyrdro shocks. Nitro shocks are the way to go. Here are those parts numbers, just scroll down through the article a little ways to the shock install: http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/home_brew_budget_boost.htm

I had Rancho 5000's on mine...they rode very stiff and were a little harsh over sharp bumps. Tried out a pair of cheepy DT3000's and have been happy with them...they still have a bit of a stiff ride, but seem to do alot better off-road than the Ranchos did. Their far from the best, but work great for the money.

I had the Rusty's hydro's on mine, came with the lift. OK, but the rears were completely shot after only 2 years. I'm on a buget so I went with the Pro Comp es3000. Complete crap. Rides like a tank and bounces over everything. Big mistake! I'm stuck with them for now, but after about a year I'll tell the wife there bad and I shouldn't of bought cheap shocks in the first place and go with OME.

I have a set of doetsch tech 3000s and they are great. I think they were about 120 shipped form JO. This is on my XJ with rusty's heavy duty 3" coils and an aal, and I think that the ride very nice. No non-jeep people ever complain. Ofcourse, I have ridden in an XJ with 3" lift and OME shocks and I thought that I was in a cadillac!! but those are way way expensive. DT gets it done for cheap. I wouldnt' put ranchos on unless you have really big tires and axles because they are made for big heavy pickups.

Back