• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front end skid plate ?s

99greenjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I've got the transfer case and gas tank skids taken care of and am considering a front end skid, but haven't really heard too much about them. Are they worth looking into? Are the stock ones stout enough? Anyone run aftermarket ones?
I'm at 4" and will eventually go with an hd winch front bumper...will a front skid worth with them? How about steering box reinforcement plates, can you run a front skid with them?
Any help is much appreciated.

I can’t answer your questions about the after market skid plate, but I’m running a factory front skid plate with ~5” of lift. The factory front is worth it if you can get it for a reasonable price, I paid $25 for mine. I have abused it severely and it doesn’t show any signs of dieing any time soon. It will not interfere with a steering box brace, but it may or may not work with an after market bumper. If the bumper bolts to the side of the frame rails (basically where the stock tow hooks go) you’ll be fine. If the bumper uses the boltholes on the bottom of the frame rails you’ll have some issues. The stock front skid plate works fine with lifts up to about 3”, after that you need to add spacers. I took a piece of 2” rectangular tube, welded it to the top of the mounts on the skid plate, and redrilled the boltholes. The whole thing took about an hour and works like a champ.

I have the factory one and 3" lift, I spaced it down to keep the tie rod behind it and have beat it hard, bent it in the center and the tie rod is still protected.

rustys off road has one it will mount with winch bumpers and steering braces and such.i have one it is 3/16 steel.it bolts under the anti-sway bar mounts and under the front lip of the unibody rad support.it is very stout.mine is used with-c-rok steering frame rail plates inside and out--c4x4 front winch bumper-steering box brace from rail to rail-no problems yet-i feel that it also helps to tye in everything else i am running-making one beefy front section.

Worthless.......just makes working on the front end harder. With much of a lift, the tie rod hangs down below it anyway.

I agree with Goatman here; the front skid doesn't do much.

I may put mine back on with some extensive modification as an oil cooler guard...random thoughts really...

I really like my front skid (Stock). I am at 4.5" of lift and Mine works really well in the snow to stop it from packing in the front part of the engine, it also helps to keep the front end floating. I also like it because it helps protect the alt, front part of the oil pan, steering linkages, etc from the mud and debris in the water.

It is More difficult to work on the front end with it but I think it is worth having it there in my opinion. If I did nothing but rocks I might feel differently.

Michael

mine is as dent free with 6" of lift as the day that i bought my jeep
never hit it on anything... and it doesnt really protect much...

but then again - i dont wheel

markaboo929 said:
ever thought about how it may help with the oil pan up there? or how about the belt and harmonic balancer?:idea:

:rolleyes:

Hmmm, I thought the front axle protected the oil pan........except for behind the front axle from a very pointed rock that wouldn't be protected from the front skid plate. And the belt and harmonic balancer? You're kidding.....right?

Hey, if you have one, enjoy it. If you don't have one, don't bother. Keeping snow from packing in there is the best use I've heard of yet.

I had one on mine years ago but it kept getting bent into my steering so I took it off. I haven't missed it.

I had one on a for a short time. Made it hard to work on the front of the Jeep and never had an issue after I dumped it. They are not worth their weight in steel. Besides, they are so 1998...

My front hitch is the closest thing to a skid that i have and does an awsome job of protecting my rad, steering box, and lower engine components. Also just a note I beet the snote out of my jeep and haven't had a problemwith any of those areas.

Back