• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1988 4.0L won't start

lanky laredo

NAXJA Forum User
my 88 4.0L cherokee won't start. it'll crank, but won't start. there's no spark from the coil, and the coil is recieving 12 volts. replaced the coil, still no start. had the ignition control module checked, and it checked good. any ideas on what it could be?
thanks
josh

Josh, welcome to NAXJA. :wave:

Try unplugging and replugging the CPS. The plug's located at the rear of the engine on the driver's side, with a wire harness that goes down toward the bellhousing.

If it starts after doing this, I'd replace the CPS. Common problem with our XJs.

I know this will sound stupid,but any way..my 89, sometimes ,will crank but not start....I pop the hood unplug the TPS,and kinda wiggle the injectors a little...and it will fire right up....none of the injectors is leaking or anything like that.
Another thing...turn the key on and wait a few seconds listen for the fuel pump..I can hear mine if I'm the only in the vehicle...then try to start it

Thanks for all the help comes to find out that it was the CPS plugs. I removed the plugs, and replugged them, and she cranked up just fine. thanks to both of you for explaning to check all my plugs and cables... now my Jeep runs like a Jeep again!!!

lanky laredo said:
Thanks for all the help comes to find out that it was the CPS plugs. I removed the plugs, and replugged them, and she cranked up just fine. thanks to both of you for explaning to check all my plugs and cables... now my Jeep runs like a Jeep again!!!
Get a new CPS it's not the plug, that's the way the CPS acts when it's going bad.

Back