• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

problems with the radio

Ben824

NAXJA Forum User
ok i know not a big mechanical issue but recently i have noticed that im gettin a bad ticking static when im listenin to the radio (FM) and ive noticed it that the ticking gets faster with the RPM. it does not make this ticking with the engine off and it doesnt affect CD paly or when i use my iPod. i thought it might have just been my alpine radio goin bad which would have surprised me cuz alpine is such high quality so i plugged back in my factory radio and the same thing happened. has anyone else had this happen?

i just bought an ignition system upgrade from quadratec that included high performance spark plug wires. is there anything i can do to fix the problem other than gettin rid of the spark plug wires?

I got a problem also some dorkwad decided he needed it more than I did :mad:

See if you can figure out the frequency of the ticking. If it's just the high performance wires, then it will be fairly fast, since you'll get three ticks per engine revolution. If it's a single bad wire, or perhaps an incomplete connection under a boot, you'll get only one tick in two revolutions.

It's not uncommon to have a pulled connector hidden by a boot, and it may not affect performance much, because the XJ ignition system is really quite good, and will fire across a very large gap.

Ben824 said:
i just bought an ignition system upgrade from quadratec that included high performance spark plug wires. is there anything i can do to fix the problem other than gettin rid of the spark plug wires?
Yeah. Buy spark plugs with integral resistors. Champion makes 'em, I expect other companies do as well.

problem solved. it turns out that the ignition wire goin from the coil to the distributor wasnt fully pushed down on the distributor so it was enough to run the engine but off enough to cause the radio interferance i was experiancing. thanks for all the help

Back