• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bolt Pattern?

Meeks

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1998 Cherokee Sport, 4 door.

I was going to oder some new rims, but I don't know the bolt pattern. How do I go about finding out? If you guys don't already know.

Also, should I consider backspacing? I will be putting a 4.5" lift, and 33" inch tires on these new rims. Also, with the 1998, what is the rear axle? 35? 44? 8.25?

Thanks for the help..

And it has 4 rims. 5 including the spare. :gee:

3.75" or 4" should be good on a 15x8" rim.

They all nailed those answers. As far as what diff you got? You will need to check it out for yourself. It won't matter for bolt pattern or rim clearance. It will be either the Dana 35c or the Chrysler 8.25". An easy way to tell from the inside of your vehicle...start it up...if you have an ABS light in your dash cluster, you have the Dana 35c. The 8.25 never had ABS in the XJ.

http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/gear1.html

-Rich

Thank you very much--- which is the better axel? Considering strenght? The 8.25? Or the 35?

And will are they both good if I put 33" on them?

8.25 is stronger. The dana35 is plagued for having toothpicks for axleshafts and the housing flexes. But with some aftermarket shafts it's ok for 33's with finness of the throttle. Don't worry you'll learn. Pick up some magazines (JP, 4WD&SU) and a service manual and get reading.

The newer model 8.25 (97+) has thicker shafts (1.21" vs. 1.16") with more splines (29 vs. 27) and larger diameter axle tubes (3" vs. 2-5/8"). Not to mention the ring gear is larger. The carrier break is at 2.56, so Jeeps automatically have the right carrier for gearing lower. And the lack of ABS holds a special place for argument among off-roaders (some say it's better, some say it's worse). JP mag rates them as equally capable to run 33-35" tires max. But, that depends on the severity of your wheeling and things like tire weight and transmission type.

So yeah, either one should be fine with 33" meats on the ends.

-Rich

Another option you can go with is a 33x10.5 tire. You can actually run that on a 7" rim as well as you will have less rolling resistance so it won't kill you as much if you don't regear right away. Still safe running them on stock axles too. Does your Jeep have ABS? If so you are gonna have a D35. From the rear, look at your rear axle and if it has a flat bottom on the housing (not the diff cover) than it is an C 8.25. Also as you are looking at it on the right side of the diff cover it should have a tag that will say your gear ratio (most likely a 3.55).

Thanks guys-- just about to order my lift kit, and it asked me my rear axle.. and rear, and checked. It took me a while to figure it out, and was so paranoid about picking the wrong axle.

I checked for the ABS in the dash, didn't find it, checked on the diff itself, the tag.. got ripped in half, and only had a backwards 35 on it, so I was like.. wtf? Got paranoid again. Then sprayed it with some parts cleaner, got all the crud off.. and found a chrysler stamp on it.

And then finally just looked at that.. "flat lip" on the housing. And-- now, I am saying thanks for the help, and now going to press.. the... "order" on that lift kit.. :D

Meeks said:
Thanks guys-- just about to order my lift kit, and it asked me my rear axle.. and rear, and checked. It took me a while to figure it out, and was so paranoid about picking the wrong axle.

I checked for the ABS in the dash, didn't find it, checked on the diff itself, the tag.. got ripped in half, and only had a backwards 35 on it, so I was like.. wtf? Got paranoid again. Then sprayed it with some parts cleaner, got all the crud off.. and found a chrysler stamp on it.

And then finally just looked at that.. "flat lip" on the housing. And-- now, I am saying thanks for the help, and now going to press.. the... "order" on that lift kit.. :D

So you have the 35 right? :)

4" Backspacing

you'll be needin to trim those fenders a bit.

I thought I could easily run 33"s with 4.5 inches of lift since I was running 31"s with no lift........I was wrong.:doh:

I don't get the "flat bottom" test, I have 2 Dana 35C's and both have a "flat" bottomed housing.:dunno:

*crying*

How the hell am I to order a lift kit.. if I live in Canada? Jeez. They said they did foreign orders, but I can't change my country in the order form... :(

And-- no.. according.. to all that shiz.. I am azzuming I have the 8.25.. I better.. ;)

The Dana has a Dana Stamp on the cover. They also have a 35 cast in the housing at the reinforced corners by the differential. Sounds like you have an 8.25.

Meeks said:
*crying*

How the hell am I to order a lift kit.. if I live in Canada? Jeez. They said they did foreign orders, but I can't change my country in the order form... :(

And-- no.. according.. to all that shiz.. I am azzuming I have the 8.25.. I better.. ;)

Call them tomorrow?

Meeks said:
*crying*

Did you look at the link provided earlier? Identifying the D35 and C8.25 is pretty easy if you look at the pics I've got in there and compare them to what's under yours. One of these days I'm going to have to add a closeup of the Dana and Chrysler logos that will be in each of the respective covers as well...

Back