• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

o2 heater problem

gm4x4lover

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 98 xj in which i had to temporaly delet the catalitic converter due to 4wheeling accident. when that happened it ruined the downstream o2. I since fixed the cat and replaced both the up and downstream o2's with new bosch parts. It now runs very poor and throws 4 codes - high volts up stream, high volts down stream, upstream heater failure and downstream heater failure. I talked with the local jeep dealer and the said the ASD ( automatic shut down) relay is linked to the heaters so i replaced that and the same problem exists. Now if i clear the code with my snap on scaner the codes will stay off for a couple off days and will run great but then the codes will come back and the xj will run bad again. The jeep dealer is out of options with out looking at it ad i would just rather fix it myself. If you guys have any answers for me i would really appreciate it.

update on the problem o2 heater problem. found 2 dead slots on the under hood power distribusion box. Upon further diagnostics i found a burnt wire for fuse # 21 which is a 20a. The electrical path is from alternator to # 21 to the asd (automatic shut down) relay and then to fuse # 24 a 15 A then to the pcm then to the heaters. Thanks for everyones sugestions.

gm4x4lover said:
update on the problem o2 heater problem. found 2 dead slots on the under hood power distribusion box. Upon further diagnostics i found a burnt wire for fuse # 21 which is a 20a. The electrical path is from alternator to # 21 to the asd (automatic shut down) relay and then to fuse # 24 a 15 A then to the pcm then to the heaters. Thanks for everyones sugestions.
Thank your for posting what you found, wish everyone would.

Ditto, I am having the same problem (started 2 days ago) after my 02 wires were ripped out of the down stream o2 sensor. I replaced it with a new Bosch sensor and the check engine light went on 2 days later~ I had the codes pulled and it sounds like pretty much the same thing.

I'll have to check the fuses when I get home tonight. My jeep still seems to runs ok though.

L.R.

also, when you say "The electrical path is from alternator to # 21 to the asd relay and then to fuse # 24 a 15 A then to the pcm then to the heaters."

what "heaters" are you speaking about?

L.R.

LoneRanger said:
also, when you say "The electrical path is from alternator to # 21 to the asd relay and then to fuse # 24 a 15 A then to the pcm then to the heaters."

what "heaters" are you speaking about?

L.R.
That would be the heaters in the o2 sensors. Is that the code you got? o2 sensor Heater circut failure?

my codes are: p0132, circuit high volts bank 1 sensor 1. p0135, O2 sensor heater malfunction bank 1 sensor 1. And pending codes p0141, O2 sensor heater circuit malfunction bank 1 sensor 2.

these codes were all pulled at the friendly Advance Auto Parts for me!

L.R.

gm4x4lover said:
update on the problem o2 heater problem. found 2 dead slots on the under hood power distribusion box.
Upon further diagnostics i found a burnt wire for fuse # 21 which is a 20a. The electrical path is from alternator to # 21 to the asd (automatic shut down) relay and then to fuse # 24 a 15 A then to the pcm then to the heaters. Thanks for everyones sugestions.
. I just don't know how to say it any better, you need to know your limitations.

I popped the hood and I found a blown 15A fuse~ replaced the fuse, discoed the battery for a while hooked her back up and I have been fine for 3 days and almost 200 miles now.

hope this will help someone with a similar problem.

L.R.

sorry i was out of town for a little while but when i was dealing with this problem i had the jeep dealer email me all the underhood wiring schematics so if anybody needs them i would be happy to email them to anyone. Or if naxja has an archive for them let me know. It seems to be a constant problem. beware though it is a very large email.

Back