• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

T-Fitting Confused...

DIGITRUCK

NAXJA Forum User
Hey,

I got a Prestone Flush/Fill Kit and I'm confused as to which Heater Hose does the T-Fitting go on.

The instructions say it must go on the Heater Inlet Hose. Which I'm not sure how to identify. Is it the one that runs from the heater valve to the water pump or the one that runs from the heater valve to the Thermostat Housing?

I did a search but I see members using either; so which is the correct hose to use?

btw - 1. When flushing is the engine on or off?

2. How do you drain out the water after flushing by pulling off the
lower radiator hose or other? I'm confused.

Thx, Phil

I think the hose coming out next to the thermostat will be the one you want.
With water from a garden hose going into that, and with the heater valve closed, you will get reverse flow from the top to bottom of the engine, backwards through the water pump, and from the bottom to the top of the radiator. What happens from there depends on whether you have the open or closed system, and you might need to disconnect other hoses to get the desired results. Probably would work best with the engine off, but I've seen it done both ways.

The radiator drain valve is on the side of the RH tank. You have to reach up through a hole in the core support framework to find it, it's a tight spot to get a grip to twist it out. A nylon plug with super fine threads, if you take it all the way out you can cross thread it pretty easy going back in and then it will be a real chore getting restarted correcty.

I put it in the hose from the thermostat housing (since the flow is outwards at that point, and inwards at the water pump) and I'd usually put a clamp on the hose between the fitting and the heater core to force reverse flow through the system.

When I replaced the heater hose with all copper line (click my link, see "Works in Progress by Works in Progress,") I put the hose bibb connector in the same place, and I installed a valve to force reverse flow when flushing. I haven't tested it yet - I did a "hard" flush before I fit the copper, and it hasn't been in for two years yet.

Why'd I do it? It cost far less than moulded heater hoses - I did the mod with copper that I had around, and some stock heater hose. I'd figure it cost about what I'd pay for a single moulded heater hose, and future services require about a foot of 3/4" hose and a foot of 5/8" hose - about two bucks.

5-90

I put one on each one the way you can do the heater core by itself if you want to....

Back