• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering stableizer...

JonsXjProjekt

NAXJA Forum User
Question for those people who have replaced theirs, I tried to take mine off and got to where the top of the piston is connected and I cant get the darn thing off 3/4" wrench with a breaker bar still wont get it off, is the pin threaded into the trac bar or can I just pound the hell out of it to get it out.. need some help please just spent an hour trying to loosen that bolt even with pb blaster.. any help is welcome

Thanks Jon V.

It's not threaded. I found it easier to just take off the tie rod (disconnect from both side and remove the bottom bolt on the stabilizer). Then you can lay the tie rod on something metal and whack it a couple of times on the side and the top fitting of the stabilizer should let go. Have a couple of cotter pins handy to replace the two you removed to remove the tie rod.

Ended up buying one at the Zone for like $7 and did it on my old 96. I needed a little heat from a torch and a few wacks to the puller screw head to get it to pop loose. The heat might help avoid the "exploding" problem as told in the links above where things go flying. Twist the puller bolt slowly and hit with a hammer every few turns and it should pop for you.

Back