• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Upper Control Arm Bolts...

DIGITRUCK

NAXJA Forum User
Hey,

'88 XJ Cherokee Laredo 4.0L Auto.

I had most of the suspension changed with oem stock due to rust/age. The mechs broke one of the Upper Control Arm Bolts (the one that goes thru the frame) and replaced it with one of slightly smaller diameter around 1/16" less.

I've been driving with it since August without any probs.

1. Do you think it's ok and safe?

Oth - I got some LOWER Control Arm Bolts from the Junk Yard. In case it breaks.

2. Will they fit in the Upper Control Arm without probs?

Thx, Phil
ps This Forum ROCKS!!! Wished I'd found it sooner would have saved me countless hours of scratching my head! lol

The LCA bolts are bigger than the UCA bolts.

You can always replace that upper bolt with a proper size one. It's not too difficult. Just don't drop a socket down into the frame rail...like 99% of us have. :laugh3:

Last edited:
If it was me I'd try to go with the originals....There is a specific grade for the bolts.....the higher the grade the stronger the bolt.
Smaller may fail from fatique due to the diameter being smaller...which like I said "the higher the grade the stronger the bolt"
Might wanna clean the ones you got from the junkyard real good with a wire brush and replace the smaller ones....when you do it,do them 1 at a time....make sure the vehicle does not roll also otherwise it's gonna be really hard to to get the bolt to line up with the hole

The UCA bolts are both M10x1.5 The body side one is 8.5 long and the axle side one might be 7.5 ( I cant read that line on my parts list). Metric bolts are graded similar to inch size hardware for strength. The little metal flag on some CA bolts is for easy assembly at the factory and is not required on your replacements.

Hey,

Even though the LCA Bolts are bigger (just by diameter, length or both?) can I use them on the UCA? Would they fit thru the bushings and holes in the frame?

Also, does anyone know of a good online source of xj parts like an alternator bracket? Most online jeep parts that I've seen don't carry those type of parts. Getting to the dealer to order it is a pain since they don't open on Sat and close too early on Weekdays for me. I got the wrong one in the junk yard last time and don't have the time to scavenge for it (wish I did).

Thx, Phil

DIGITRUCK said:
Even though the LCA Bolts are bigger (just by diameter, length or both?) can I use them on the UCA? Would they fit thru the bushings and holes in the frame?
Bigger means bigger. No, they won't fit.

You probably will NOT find these at everyday hardware stores. The 10.9 rating of the bolt is not a normal item (most only stock the 8.8). Today I tried Home Depot, Lowes, Ace, Napa, American Auto, and "Do It Center," without any luck. It looks like Fastenal has it, but they were closed today. Any other good online sources (i.e. cheaper than the dealer)?

Last edited:
Back