• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just point me in the right direction...rocker armor

Colorado_XJ

Village Idiot #1287
Yeah yeah, I searched all over the web with limited success. Just point me in the right direction to find someone that plated their rocker panels (like on a Wrangler), sleeved their frame rails and then built rocker armor that welded to the sleeves and the plated rocker panels (as well as mounting to the pinch seam). I'm planning on this and want some pro's or con's. Someday down the road, I want the rocker armor to be stout enough to tie an exo into, even if it's just a mini-exo to protect the corners. No need to flame me (thought I know some folks will!) or make this a huge discussion. And no, I don't wanna do like on MADXJ and chop out the rocker panels. If no one's done it, I wonder why. Thanks for any help. Happy Holidays to you all.

-Rich

Last edited:
Nope. I definitely do not wanna go chopping a really nice looking XJ. Hence the comment about staying away from the MADXJ swap. It's going to be my DD for (hopefully) a long time. I have a trail rig I am building that I don't mind hacking on. I want my DD to be able to hit the mild trails with aplomb and still look as sharp as an XJ can. I know, I am being picky. I'm gonna do this mod anyway, I was just looking for some folks that did something similar so that I could learn from mistakes. Thanks a bunch for reading, much less researching and replying!

-Rich

RockRatz...I knew I saw something like it somewhere. I do believe that is the springboard I was looking for. Thanks a whole awful lot! I'm gonna mount mine a lot better than that...but that looks like what I had envisioned.

-Rich

Colorado_XJ said:
RockRatz...I knew I saw something like it somewhere. I do believe that is the springboard I was looking for. Thanks a whole awful lot! I'm gonna mount mine a lot better than that...but that looks like what I had envisioned.

-Rich
AJ's offroad armor sweet rails at a smoking price. Do a search for his stuff.

Well, they are sweet things. But I'd rather fab my own. Just looking for someplace to get some info and ideas from. Thanks for the tip. I keep forgetting about some of these manufacturer's. That's one of the reasons I love this place.

-Rich

shelbyluvv said:
AJ's offroad armor sweet rails at a smoking price. Do a search for his stuff.

X10000000!!!!

Rockrail.jpg

stormmountain3.jpg

Not the best pics, but i think youll get the idea. For the money(199 for the 3/16 super rails), you wont find a better deal than AJ's. They are BEEFY and the construction is top notch.

http://www.ajsoffroadarmor.com/RockRails/index.htm

Thanks to all of you for the links and advice. It's greatly appreciated. I am going to cannibalize what I can from my wrecked XJ and make this new one better than the last. Once the "frame" is sleeved, I can swap in my skids and build the rocker armor...whatever design I choose to go with. I like the look and feel of having designed and made my own. Hell, I've been welding for about half my life...it'd almost be a crime to not use and abuse those skills! I do like the look and construction of AJ's, and I have seen PMW's stuff pretty extensively first-hand. The company I work for actually does a lot of the steel cutting and bending for several 4WD fab shops in the area...that helps a lot for giving me ideas. Once I get going on this project I will post pics. Thanks again!

-Rich

I would suggest the Detours USA rock rails. They attach to the front spring pack and the lower control arm mounts, they (can) weld on, and then the pinch seam, too.

I had the AJ's rails, they caught on rocks (I think) and snapped bolts on the pinch seam and bent. For the price (the Detours are over 2x the cost of the AJ's rails) AJ does some excellent work and was great to deal with. If you want rockrails (the traditional type) I would go with AJ for price alone. However, as far as bolt on, I really don't think it can get much better than Detours.

Jeffro...you got mad skills, bud. That's all I can think of.

jpfreak...that's what I wanna stay away from. Hence the desire to make it wicked stout from the get-go. Checked out Detours products...that's a pretty slick SlimLine rear bumper. Their Slyders look pretty slick, too. Thanks for the heads-up. I had never even heard of those folks.

Drew up some designs for my frame sleeves this AM. I'll start with making those tomorrow after work. Thanks again for the loads of help.

-Rich

Back