• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Header leaking

johnnyc

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Nope...not another thread about a cracked factory exhaust manifold. :) But instead, I have a leak in my Borla header. Seems that the yoke has worn the header down thin enough where it is now leaking. I didn't think the interference was so bad, until things got louder.

So the question is - can this header be repaired? And what can be done to avoid the interference problem? Yes, I did a search. And I read where the interference is caused by improper trackbar adjustment. But my trackbar adjustment seems fine.

Don't really want to buy a new header. But...if I did, would a Banks or Edelbrock header be better for the interference problem?

Your yoke should not be interfering with the Header. Only the Down pipe between the header and the cat. You should be able to replace it seperately without replacing or removing the header.

You can buy one from multiple places or have one made by a local muffler shop.

Michael

2xtreme said:
Your yoke should not be interfering with the Header.
But it is. :) As a temporary fix, I got an exhaust repair kit. That has quieted it down quite a bit, but I'm not sure how long it'll last.

I was looking at some JB Weld at the store today. It says it's good up to 600 degrees. Can I try to use this to fix the problem?

xjohnnyc said:
I was looking at some JB Weld at the store today. It says it's good up to 600 degrees. Can I try to use this to fix the problem?

I would imagine your headers get a good bit hotter than 600 degrees and would probably burn that stuff off in a matter of minutes!

That's what I figured. Thanks.

Guess I'll take it down to a muffler shop to see if they can weld it up for me.

xjohnnyc said:
But it is. :) As a temporary fix, I got an exhaust repair kit. That has quieted it down quite a bit, but I'm not sure how long it'll last.

Show us some pic's. If your pinion is hitting the header I believe you have much bigger issues to deal with than the exhaust leak. There is no point in fixing it if you do not fix the original issue.

Michael

2xtreme said:
Show us some pic's. If your pinion is hitting the header I believe you have much bigger issues to deal with than the exhaust leak. There is no point in fixing it if you do not fix the original issue.

Michael
Stock unit has that funky crimp in it so that the driveshaft can clear it. I wonder if the lack of it in the aftermarket one might be the problem.

Johnny, if you're going to have it repaired why don't you have it modified? Tuck it in a bit to keep that problem from happening in the future.

Alternatively you can always just grind about 1/8" off your yoke. :dunce:

Do you have an early or late model Borla?

xjohnnyc said:

Jeffro600 said:
I would imagine your headers get a good bit hotter than 600 degrees and would probably burn that stuff off in a matter of minutes!

I have had quite the opposite experience with JB weld on headers. If mixed right, and dried right, it can work well. Ive used it on a BB396, running nitrous, and those headers have glowed more than once. I used it along the bottom where it hangs down parallel to the ground, just to seal up some pin holes from scraping over speed bumps and crappy roads. They havent glowed that far down, but its well over 600*.

Wouldnt hurt to try.

GSequoia said:
Johnny, if you're going to have it repaired why don't you have it modified? Tuck it in a bit to keep that problem from happening in the future.

Alternatively you can always just grind about 1/8" off your yoke. :dunce:

Do you have an early or late model Borla?

Tuck it in how? And I bought my Borla in 2002 and it's on my 96. So I don't know if that's an early or late model.

I might try the JB Weld as XJjeepLess said. Or the store also sells some putty-like stuff that is for patching mufflers.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Tuck it as in cut it further up the pipe and introduce a new slight bend in the custom downpipe to go closer to the oil pan. If you cut high and bend small you should be able to get clearance without too much turbulance.

Back