• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stupid Me: Leaking Gas Tank

BSD

NAXJA Forum User
The saga continues. I chenged the fuel pump on my 88 XJ 4.0. In the process of removing it, I initially thought one disconnected teh wiring at teh gromet on the fuel tank mounting bracket. I soon learned that the disconnect was further up on teh wiring harness near the fuel filter. At any rate, I filled her up today and she is leaking like a sive (sp?) from that grommet. As I recall from looking at it, it was held in place by one of those presure spring armed washer things. So, two questions. Can I get by with some type of sealent / RTV or do I need to buy a new grommet? If so, what kind? I assume it is a dealer only item and will probably take some time to get it.
If there is a positive side, it could have been worse. It is vairly high up onteh fuel tank so I only lost a couple of gallons of gas. Furthermore, I did not have to do my own version of Hiroshima.
Thanks & Merry Christmas.
BSD

Probably the safest thing to do would be hit the junk yard and get another unit. I'm not sure of any RV that could handle the constant splashing of gas. And with the slightest potential of a fuel leak, I would have the tendency to avoid quick fixes and patch jobs when it comes to something that may cause some serious problems in the future.

chris

You are probably right on the patch job. However, I think a salvage yard might be jsut as problematic. TH epart was not made to come apart. Hence, robbing one from another tank - I suspect - would cause the same problem. Oh well, guess I chalk up another lesson learned to experience.
BSD

just had to say I HATE THAT SPRING WASHER with the 3 grooves locks in it!

good luck seems like its going to be a safe bet to get a dealer grommet

Previous comments about atv sealant are probably right, but there is another thing you might want to consider.

There's a product called gas tank repair that's excellent. I once drilled a hole in my VW Bus gas tank by accident (don't ask), and used this stuff to fix it. It worked extremely well ... a very permanent fix ... I had the VW for about 12 years with no troubles from that hole.

Most auto parts stores have it. It comes in a thick, two-part putty. You mix the two colors together in your hand, and apply it to the leaking area. It doesn't stick to your hand at all.

Don't know if you'll be able to use it on your grommet or not ... just some more info to consider.

langer1 said:
Did you get a new gasket when you changed the pump? If not oh well.

Yes & No. The gasket that came with the pump was actually 60 thousands thinner than the old o-ring one. The old one was still in good shape and was much more pliable; as in able to conform to the surface and lock in the fuel. I cleaned itup good and lubricated it with silicone. The leak is not at teh o-ring.

As for the spring washer, it is a turd. I think I will bend over, drop my drawers when I get to the dealer's part counter. Yes, it is only a small rubber grommet with two wires connecting to it. Hence, it should cost no less than 50-75 bones. However, can't be mad at anyone else bu me.

I siphoned the gas out to below that point. No more leak for right now.
Merry Christamas
BSD

good luck BSD, let us know how much it cost you and mabye a part # for future searchers

Merry Christmas

Well it molded on the wire so you will need to get the wire and spring washer.
I doubt you can.
It's to bad you got a new pump because for a few more bones you could have gotten the hole thing with a new sender.
Black RTV is fuel proof, your best bet is to pull it and seal inside and out.

Back