• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

draw-tite tow package a factory option?

95RedCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
well, my 1995 xj 2 door sport, 4.0 automatic seems to have been equipped with a tow package. it has a draw-tite hitch, d-t splitter for the brake lights etc in the rear panels and the connector for a trailer. It also has a tranny cooler up front. Is there anything else that came with this package? does this change anythign in the drivetrain? Extra towing capacity? This is my first Jeep. Bought it used.
Thanks guys!

A Draw-Tite hitch was not a factory option, but could have been dealer installed. Factory hitches have a Mopar decal on them

Here is an example of the factory Mopar hitch, but most have the Mopar decal on them like what was said before.
Alex

Picture013.jpg

My heep has a Draw-Tite hitch on it, nice hitch, built with plenty of iron, but the tail pipe rides much too close to it and makes an annoying rattle when I take off from a stop.

A hitch like that wouldn't be the lowest bidder, and therefore probably wouldn't be factory. But ya never know. I also have a D44 that I'm pretty sure is factory. They must have figured they saved plenty on the Pug-ot tranny :dunno:

The stop/turn light combiner circuitry is a factory thing on a lot of XJs I think. My friend's bare bones '87 2.5 even had that stuff in it, though it had no hitch.

well that turn, brake, running light splitter is a draw-tite unit. Well, at least I know it wasnt a factory option now. Thought, it seems they did it right when they did it. I like the design of my d-t hitch compared to that mopar one. it seems to be beefier.

Merry Christmas everybody!

I know the Draw-Tite I have is beefier than the OEM hitch in the photo and a lot of others I have seen in the field. But most others are welded one piece and the Draw-Tite is bolted together. The two side rails wrap around the outside and bottom of the "frame" rails, and the crossbar with receiver tube, bolts up in between them. Has a small bracket built on that holds the trailer wiring socket. The whole thing wraps around the gas tank and serves to sort of protect it, and would probably make a good foundation for a belly pan. Interestingly, it and most others I have seen don't have rings through which to loop the safety chains. There is room to throw them over the top of the crossbar and around, and I guess that's supposed to be good enough, but if the left chain were to slide across the crossbar it would rip out the wiring. There's not a lot of room for extra goodies while keeping it all tucked in forward of the bumper though.

The crossbar should at least have recovery hooks welded on the bottom for those times it becomes necessary to upright flipped Toyotas and Broncos (or tow them if they are upright and merely stuck or broken).

Merry Christmas everybody.

Back