• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission or transfercase?

Oldmanxj

NAXJA Member #940
Was headed down the freeway and all of a sudden there rose such a clatter and coasted to the side of road, when in drive or reverse a loud noise is heard of things not right. But she will move in 4lo with no noise. All the linkages look right and no leaks. Question is, this transmission or trasfercase ? 1989 4.0, AW4, NP231. TIA

Oldmanxj said:
Was headed down the freeway and all of a sudden there rose such a clatter and coasted to the side of road, when in drive or reverse a loud noise is heard of things not right. But she will move in 4lo with no noise. All the linkages look right and no leaks. Question is, this transmission or trasfercase ? 1989 4.0, AW4, NP231. TIA
Or rear diff. Put the t-case in neutral and check the drive shaft play.

I vote transfer case.

It moved in 4 lo so the rear diff is fine as is the tranny cause if it crapped out on you it would not move at all in any setting of the transfer case. That and I had the same thing happen to my 88 XJ about 3 weeks ago only I was able to limp home with only the front driveshaft pulling me. I will not go into detail as to what I was doing when mine blew up as it is rather foolish and one of those things that "I knew better" not to do.

PhilSine said:
I vote transfer case.

It moved in 4 lo so the rear diff is fine as is the tranny cause if it crapped out on you it would not move at all in any setting of the transfer case. That and I had the same thing happen to my 88 XJ about 3 weeks ago only I was able to limp home with only the front driveshaft pulling me. I will not go into detail as to what I was doing when mine blew up as it is rather foolish and one of those things that "I knew better" not to do.
When my rear diff went out I could drive in 4WD but not 2WD Hi or Low.

langer, checked the driveshaft play, nice and tight, but I'm pretty sure it's the transfercase. seems to be where the most noise is coming from.
Thanks for your help.

Back