• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power failure problems

dirtdogger17

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys...i have a new optima red top battery and heavy duty alternator in my 95..my speedo started jumping around the other day and i thought i might have just had a bad speedometer connection..on my way home my radio died...i knew what that meant...then my lights..then my engine started bucking..then she died...luckily in my driveway..this is the second time since the new battery and alternator were installed..first time it was a bad relay..dont know what itll be this time, but id rather fix it myself then calling a tow truck..any ideas??..thanks alot

Find wiring diagrams, and start with the mains. I'd also make a point of checking ALL grounds for clean, dry connections - replace any corroded screws or ring lugs, take a minute to strip the "contact patch" with the sheetmetal, and use stainless (doesn't rust much) or brass (copper alloys are better conductors) hardware to replace. Be generous with the Ox-Gard - you should find that at your local hardware store in the electrical section (look for that after you dig up the stainless/brass hardware.)

Any bolts that can't be replaced for some reason, or that you don't plan on replacing, you should attack with a wire wheel as well.

I think the 1995 uses Bosch relays for nearly everything - you mean to tell me you don't have any spares? Parts Express (www.partsexpress.com) can source them for you for about $3-4 each, buy several.

While you're about it, get a packet of emery boards (ask your other half if you don't know where to find them) for general terminal cleaning duties. Don't just "use hers," you'll be in boatloads of trouble when she finds the paint and corrosion deposited on her fingernails...

While you're about it, get a small wire wheel brush (brass preferred, steel OK) to chuck into your drill for cleaning ground contacts.

How's that for advice?

5-90

Looks like ill have a project on my hands..good thing im off tomorrow haha..how many grounds are there..ballpark figure?..just curious to see how early ill hafta set my alarm..and as far as screws/bolts to replace, will i have to go to the dealer for them?..thanks alot..i really appreciate the help

Grounds? Don't know - haven't done the job in a while.

Hardware? Most of it should be doable at the hardware store - and rather better than OEM (cheaper, too!) It's mostly sheet metal screws, with a bolt or two thrown in for good measure (the bolts can be cleaned, unless they're corroded badly - just replace the sheetmetal screws out of hand. Get some washers as well - the more "clean" contact you can get between the screw and ring, and between the screw/ring assembly and sheetmetal, the better your ground will be.)

I'd expect no more than a half-day to do this - most of the grounds will be visible and should not require disassembling anything (but the ground, of course!) to access.

5-90

i think i may have figured it out..if an alternator was to be hit by a good stream of water by say..a high pressure car wash or a nice big puddle offroad, would it be toast?..i just realized that every time i hit a major mud puddle or take it to the car wash the check engine light goes on......any thoughts?

It's possible. Considering you've got a 95, that makes it a Denso unit, and I don't know about those (the Delco CS unit in my 88 has been under water a few times, and no issue there...)

Click the link in my sig, and follow it to San Jose Generator - call him if you expect to keep having trouble with your alternator getting wet. I figure either Rod can help you "waterproof" yours, or build one for you that just won't care... He's done all of mine, and they're the most bulletproof units I've had!

5-90

It could also be just a loose belt.
I also see you have an optima red top they have a very high failure rate.
If you get a good one they last forever but they seem to have a high failure rate.
We had to stop selling the automotive line because 30% were defective in less than a year. We still stock their watercraft batteries because our store is close to a large lake and many Jet Skis require them.
Our standard batteries (Harris and Interstate) have a return rate of about 6%.

Last edited:
Back