• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Intake/Exhaust Gasket Removal

There should be either 11 or 13 bolts, with the bolts arranged in two rows. The bolts are arranged in a symmetrical pattern, with the centreline being the centreline of the engine. There will be either two studs (at the very ends) or three studs (the ends and the centre.)

You'll want to get a "universal" socket - a 9/16" socket with an inbuilt universal joint - that will make it easier to reach the bolts underneath.

If you have a RENIX, make sure to remove the EGR tube that runs between the exhaust and intake manifolds BEFORE you remove the bolts, and loosely install the tube while the bolts are loose, on reassembly. Make sure to use Never-Seez on the tube nuts when you put them back together.

Also, you'll find you'll have more room to work in if you remove the airbox - which gives you room to access the bolts on the underside of the manifolds.

It's not a bad idea to replace the bolts once you get them out - use either brass or bronze (preferred!) or Grade 5 steel. As I recall, they're 3/8"-16x1.25" - but measure the length to be sure. Reuse the dish-shaped washers if you can't replace them - they're important.

Use Scotch-Brite to clean the manifold surfaces and the head surface - that way, you'll get a nice clean surface without removing material. A thin coat of RTV Copper on both sides of the gasket won't go amiss - and it helps to maintain the gasket if the bolts come loose.

Retorquing the bolts once a year is good maintenance as well - you'll catch one or two loose on the way.

Check around locally, and see if you can get LocTite #272 - it's the only one that is really formulated to handle the head of exhaust hardware - and it actually does help (four XJ's with I6 engines and an annual retorque usually yields about two bolts in total - I've had to do all the manifold gaskets...)

I guess I should do a FAQ writeup on this job one of these days...

5-90

Remove your airbox and stick your head down there to look up - I don't have a pic handy, so I can't post it. I do know there are an odd number of fasteners - and I think it's 11 - but it's been a while since I got down there and had to look (annual inspections happen around April.)

I'm sure it's an odd number, tho - and if you can get to a parts house before you start the job, a Chilton's manual should have a diagram you can use.

5-90

I don't know about the newer XJs but on my '89, it's a lot easer after the heat shield is removed from the top of the intake manifold. Then you can more easily see what you're trying to do. I found that a wobble extension was the best ticket on the lower bolts.

Back