• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crunched XJ

Sarge

NAXJA Forum User
Loaned my XJ to my daughter and she managed to slide off the road, thru a white picket fence and then knock a tree down. The radiator I got thru the group buy here is toast I would guess. I haven't seen it yet, salvage yard it was towed to is closed on the weekends.

I may sell the remains depending on how damaged it is. One way or another I'll either be back asking for information on rebuilding it or offering it for sale.

Sarge
1993 2WD XJ Sport

Thanks, she and the three other girls are all fine...seat belts did their job. Don't know about the building another one. For me anything with four wheels is a secondary vehicle. Also I live within a block of the cop shop. They don't cruise our area to stop crime (of which there is plenty) but to give out tickets and tow warnings for unregistered or wrecked vehicles. Their definition of wrecked included my work van with a slashed tire BTW. *grin* Yeppers, I live in a real good neighborhood. If I had access to garage spcae then I would gladly get to work on it......make it a 4 wheeler, slight lift, new paint, fix that dang drivers door, and so on!

Sarge

Hope they are all OK. My sons driving habits changed radically after he flipped his sentra on a corner I had been slowing him down on DAILY, BOTH WAYS for 6 months. Gets his license and that car, flips it on that corner after 3 days.
Yes, I dread my daughter driving, get 2-3 other girl teenagers in the same vehicle and it's a problem. They spend more time switching radio stations and cd tracks than watching the road.
I'm considering getting my daugher a 2 door MJ with buckets so the number of distractions can be reduced to one passenger and a single channel radio pre set to a C&W station :D

Jump This said:
Ya...we cruise just to harrasssss and neglect!!

Didn't make a blanket statement about all cops. But that opinion is derived from having lived here for 5 years, having given the cops the addresses, names, etc of the drug houses (4 within three blocks), informing them of the store selling booze and cigs to minors, of the odd timed deliveries of bike and car parts to the house kitty corner to this apartment, and so on and the only reaction from the cops was nothing. They drive thru this section of town to go to lunch or get to the other side.

I have several friends on the force and their comments are that our area is used as a punishment for those who have either screwed up or have shown a lack of comittment.

Sarge

RichP, I've got 5 kids to go thru! Three girls and two boys. So far the two oldest girls have wrecked. One learned I think but I'd be willing to bet the one who just wrecked will do it again. I hope not but I think she'll keep me up nights for a bit.

Sarge

RichP said:
I'm considering getting my daugher a 2 door MJ with buckets so the number of distractions can be reduced to one passenger and a single channel radio pre set to a C&W station :D

Good idea in principle, except the collector in me cringes when I think of an MJ used for sacrificial purposes. Get her an S-10 or a 'Yota PU until she proves herself worthy of an MJ :D

Just curious -- where does one buy one o' them one-channel radios yer talkin' about?

If the kids are going to be driving your four wheeler much...stick with the XJ.The long wheelbase may be what saves them from a roll over. Roll cages for the XJ are available at resonable prices too!! I know the thing about worry. Although I have only one son, I coach High School Volleyball, and the thaught of loosing one of them to a stupid act of driving neglect (drinking mostly) has caused me to take the first day of practice, sit the kids down and talk about driving....drinking....drugs...peer pressure...etc.
I have a friend whos daughter has crashed (mostly fender bender suff) three times. Not sure I could have let her behind the wheel after the second wreck.
And on another note..don't let neglect from the police department stop you from taking care of you kids and neighborhood. Although we all wish every department could handle things better they are not your only means (or is that meens?) of taking control (or at least helping to regain control) City councils, congressmen and other community organizations (your church?)lift a heavy gavel too! Just don't give up....
By the way...I take no offence is anyone being dissapointed in the constabulary..

rixXJphx said:
There are laws against child abuse and cruel & unusual punishment. :D :D

The idea is they will get sick of "Orville and the Pigstickers" really fast and turn it off. Then all they will have to do is pay attention and drive:D My radio doesn't get CW when I'm in the Jeep, for some reason it does when Mrs. ASAT drives it. :dunno:

OK damage report from a visual inspection:

Grill gone
radiators bent inward and leaking
right side bumper almost touches tire
top radiator support touches fan blades
vac bottom possibly broken
windshield broken
drivers door barely hangin on now
pass side fender 1/4 panel crumpled into door but door opens

Motor still runs with no funky noises. All in all not as bad as I thought. Anything else I should be looking for or at? What am I looking at for repairs here? I'll be the one doing the work and most parts will most likely be coming from a salvage yard of some sort.

Sarge

Maybe find a body in better shape and move the running gear over to it ???
Nose parts for XJ's are kind of hard to come by, most I seen in yards seem to have hit telephone poles or deer. I have only come across one that had an intact nose and that was a roll over.

Glad the kids are ok for sure. Please keep this discussion going. My XJ has received a lot of new parts (including a new-from-dealer engine+install 5 yrs ago) but my body is rusting away in the Coastal Fog up here. I love the truck- is a body swap hard/$$$?? How about cuttin' out rust? What years are compatible? I really have no idea- I'm readin this thread...

Ouch, looking like the XJ may be down for a bit. Seems RichP is right. A quick call to a few salvage yards got me exactly nothing for the front end. Anyone make decent affordable fiberglass parts? There is a lot not too far away that "claims" to have major amount os Jeep stuff. We'll see.

Sarge

Sorry Sarge, Just hit the back button once you use the link. I forgot that I had been looking for a mirror and gave you that link. All you got to do is use the back button and then fill in your year.
Sorry for the confusion.

Casper

Aword of caution. I had a Ranger that I decided to rebuild that had front end dammage. Usually there is more damage as you pull parts off. If the radiator is leaking that tells me there is damage to the front crossmember which may in turn have damaged the frame. You might be better off finding an XJ with engine or tranny problems and swaping yor stuff over.

Start pulling parts tomorrow. If it comes down to something that bad, she's gone. I've no garage and no time in which to do that much work. Not to mention the money.

Sarge

Back