• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Reverse Growl

jdbwrx

NAXJA Forum User
My '99 has been making a nasty growling noise when I put in into reverse. It almost acts like it doesn't want to move unless you gie it some gas. The noise also seems to be worse when the wheel is turned a bit. This growl disappears as soon as I put it back in drive.

I am figuring it has something to do with the pinion angle/driveshaft combination, as I do have vibes. I have a 1" T-Case drop, but need to get the SYE and CV drive shaft done soon. Will this cure the issue? Other bearings, u-joints I need to check? I am hoping it is not the transmission.

A few facts about my rig: Automatic, 231 T-case, 4" lift, 1" T-Case drop (rusty's cross member) and 3 degree shims, Chrysler 8.25 with Powertrax no-slip

Any thoughts/help would be appreciated

JeepFreak21 said:
Does it make the sound when you're not moving? Does the sound change with RPM or speed? What if the t-case is in neutral?
Billy

No it does not make that sound when it's not moving. The sound does change as the RPM's increase, just sounds like it's getting a bit louder. I am pretty sure there is a direct relationship there.

I haven't tried with the T-case in neutral. I was trying to figure tonight if it made it only in 4-wheel. It definitely did it in 4-high as I was backing up to leave work tonight. It has done in in 2-wheel for sure in the past, but I wasn't sure if that was the case tonight.

This is impossible. Have you had anyone walk along side and listen for the noise? Have you jacked it up and put it in gear and listened for noise to try to isolate? Do you know what throttle pressure, what speed, what gear, in 2wd or 4wd, etc?

I hate to be grouchy about this, but we're getting noise questions that have no chance whatsoever of being diagnosed online with the info that is given.

Mine does the exact same thing. I have almost the exact same setup as you also. Mine just sounds like with the torque of the front axle engaged, while in reverse the whole operation is transfered to the body of the XJ. Just sounds like a low grumble from the front, with a slight vibration. I know I didn't explain very well, and I don't know why it does it. Everything is tight up front and working properly so it doesn't bother me.

Back