• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1975 ford steering, odd ball stuff

tompatjr

NAXJA Forum User
Finally found a D44 hp and would like to know some more about this axle. The steering has a really odd setup, the tie rod has a hydrolic cylinder with hoses running to it. The drag link has some hose and I guess some sort of machinal pressure sensor on it. Any one know what this is? Not that it's important but I would just like to know. It really resembles ram assist that I have seen.

BTW this 1975 ford has disk brakes, another 75 at the same yard had drums.

Sounds like some kind of hydro-assist setup. The axle may have been swapped from something else if it has discs, since I don't think '75 models came with discs?

Pics would help! :D

NotMatt said:
Sounds like some kind of hydro-assist setup. The axle may have been swapped from something else if it has discs, since I don't think '75 models came with discs?

Pics would help! :D

How do I post pics?
It's all factory hardware, from my best guess. The plate in the door was def 1975.

It's all factory. Disks were an option in '75 and standard in '76.

The steering is Fords early power steering. It worked like a ram assist of today except there was no real power in the box and when the ram went sour there was no power steering. It's been 15 years since I looked at one and it was really common to switch to a newer box and steering links because the ram was problematic. I can't remember what the exact year range those were used. My '76 had a normal power box setup.

You have to host the pics offsite and link to them. If you look in the bottom left hand corner there is a small link labeled "IMG" with instructions.

Back