• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weird stall / no-start on '90 after crash

Durango-Bob

NAXJA Forum User
My 5 speed, 4.0 L, two door '90 Cherokee came in contact with another vehicle and now has character marks on the right quarter, door and fender. It was almost a side-swipe type impact, but there was enough force still to push the front axle sideways about 1". I can live with all that, but now it won't run.

There are no fluid leaks and all the guages seemed to be OK after the crash. I drove it about 100 yards and parked it after it happened about 6 weeks ago and just left it parked until I had a chance to check it out. A few days ago I took it out for a test drive. It was noisy from what sounded like a new exhaust system leak but ran fine for 1 mile. Then it stopped running abruptly with a thunk sound. Attempts to restart it resulted in verrrry slow and labored cranking. After letting it sit for a few minutes, it fired up (slowly still) and I managed to limp it back home with this same ritual repeated 5 times in that mile. (A real battery killer.)

Now it will start up and run for a minute or two before it stops with the same thunk noise. And after this it has the same very slow cranking. I'm at a loss on this one. Any ideas on what's wrong with the engine.

Durango-Bob said:
My 5 speed, 4.0 L, two door '90 Cherokee came in contact with another vehicle and now has character marks on the right quarter, door and fender. It was almost a side-swipe type impact, but there was enough force still to push the front axle sideways about 1". I can live with all that, but now it won't run.

There are no fluid leaks and all the guages seemed to be OK after the crash. I drove it about 100 yards and parked it after it happened about 6 weeks ago and just left it parked until I had a chance to check it out. A few days ago I took it out for a test drive. It was noisy from what sounded like a new exhaust system leak but ran fine for 1 mile. Then it stopped running abruptly with a thunk sound. Attempts to restart it resulted in verrrry slow and labored cranking. After letting it sit for a few minutes, it fired up (slowly still) and I managed to limp it back home with this same ritual repeated 5 times in that mile. (A real battery killer.)

Now it will start up and run for a minute or two before it stops with the same thunk noise. And after this it has the same very slow cranking. I'm at a loss on this one. Any ideas on what's wrong with the engine.
Just guessing but I would look for a cracked bell housing. That is where your CPS is mounted and could be the clunk/thunk.
The exaust leak is a sign the engine shifted a lot and even broke a mount.

Sounds like vac leak to the map sensor and/or a bad ground when mine got a run in with a honda accord, there was some arking and it fried the firewall to engine block ground... Check all your grounds and your map sensor vac hose

Back