• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Too much gas???

BuckFever

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all. 2 things. A guy is selling a 1996 XJ in town for $1500.00??? Good deal or no? he says the only things he knows wrong with it are the left CV joint is going out and there's a tranny line leak. Hopefully not hard to fix. The other thing got me thinking though. He said that some type of fuel sensor is going out because when you are sitting at a stop light for too long or some scenario in likeness, it gets too much fuel. I didn't think this was possible with fuel injection. Any of you know about this?

Look it over pretty well.. that's a good deal if those are the only things seriously wrong with it.

What are the symptoms accompanying this "over fuel"? I would imagine if he is just smelling extra gas that the injector seals are leaking fuel. That's something you want to fix right away as it's a pretty big fire hazard. If the rig is actually dieing at stop lights, there may be something else wrong.

Even with some significant things wrong with it, that is a good deal. With even some nominal repais and investment, you would still come out ahead when compared to a new vehicle.
BSD

Thanks. nice site. Figure this will probably be an all day event to fix this. No biggie. That's why I have another car I guess. Might as well upgrade axles if I gotta tear 'em apart anyway.

BuckFever said:
Thanks. nice site. Figure this will probably be an all day event to fix this. No biggie. That's why I have another car I guess. Might as well upgrade axles if I gotta tear 'em apart anyway.
If you get stuck you can always come back here and someone will try to help.
Some of us do house call's even.

BuckFever said:
1996 should already have the 297 axle shafts and they are one piece, so no additional upgrades (appart from replacing ujionts) should be necessary. Same thing goes for seals: unless they are leaking don't worry about them.
Trick is that when you're pulling out the axleshaft, support it with your other hand by the housing so that it doesn't try to rest on the seal as it's coming out (if you don't support it you could potentially nick the seal with the splines)

Thanks for the help everyone. I'm waiting for the guy to call me back so I can take 'er for a test drive. I'll keep the house calls in mind :eek:) On emore thing, best manual which should go over everything? Chilton or is there something better?

BuckFever said:
Thanks for the help everyone. I'm waiting for the guy to call me back so I can take 'er for a test drive. I'll keep the house calls in mind :eek:) On emore thing, best manual which should go over everything? Chilton or is there something better?

FSM.

Factory service manual.

Back