• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering wheel loose

summitlt

NAXJA Forum User
Ive read about this a little bit, apprently theres a nylon bushing in the column that can be replaced. But I dont know if I need this part. My column was nice and tight and over the space of 2 weeks its VERY loose. Is it safe to assume its not this bushing and its loose nuts?

Whoops

1990 MJ tilt column

Last edited:
My '88 steering wheel (tilt) assembly became very loose some time ago. Finally decided to dig into it. As I recall, there were 4 bolts holding the tilt assembly to the lower part of the column. They eventually would have separated, causing?? All I can say is FIX IT NOW. I'm certain I've seen this discussed in depth either here or Pirate4x4. My Jeep FSM covered the disassembly in detail. Draw pictures and take notes as you disassemble--lots of funny little parts in strange places. Search here, Pirate4x4, and "Google". The info is there.

when my 89 column (GM style) tilt assembly loosened up a few years back, I found the fix to be simply tightening the screws located inside the column.....which aren't really simple to get to, but easily doable for someone that can do a puzzle and not have pieces left over. Apply locktite to the bolts when you get in there before you tighten them, so you don't have to do it again.

Yes, you need to take the column apart and tighten the reverse torx bolts in there. It's not a simple task, lots of little pieces for the turn signal switch and key cylinder and yada yada yada. The hardest part IMO is getting the wiring for the multi-function switch out... you'll have to unbolt the column from the dash to be able to snake it out.

Besides the basic tools, you'll need the appropriate size reverse-torx (or a regular socket that fits snug), some loc-tite for the bolts, a steering wheel puller, and a friend that you can bribe with beer to help you get the retainer plate c-clip off.

NotMatt said:
The hardest part IMO is getting the wiring for the multi-function switch out... you'll have to unbolt the column from the dash to be able to snake it out.
I've just tightened the tilit steering column on my 89 XJ a couple of months back. I've managed to tighten those torx-bolts without unbolting the column from the dash. I've pulled the wheel with rented Autozone steering wheel puller, also used their lockplate compressor to remove the c-clip. I've found that tilting the wheel to the down-most position will allow the mutlfunction plate to clear the steering shaft, so that you can get to assembly below. Also, I've had to purchase a $25 OTC-SPX pivot pin tool to remove the pivot pins. Without this tool, you will have access to only one torx bolt out of 4.

Yes, whatever you do, don't just tighten one. I made that mistake the first time as it was the only one I could access. It came loose a few months later, even with loc-tite on it.

If I remember right, I was able to access all 4 bolts without the special pin removal tool you're talking about by taking the whole thing apart, but I can't remember the specifics.

Just dig into it and remove parts until you can get to all the bolts.. ;) Just remember how everything goes back together. It helps having a factory service manual on-hand... I didn't and ended up forgetting some little clip thing that makes the headlight buzzer turn off when you have the keys in and the headlights on, so whenever I had my headlights on the buzzer was on even if the key was in and the rig was running. I just ripped the buzzer out. :)

HI,ALL AN THANK,S i did all those things, took it apart to tighten the bolts put it back together twice because i forget some of those little weird small parts you all talk about, and the bolts were not lose its futher down, an i cold feet, because that was hard enough to do ,when your flyinging solo an without a net. but i saw .when i had it apart, what looked like a round plasit ball behind the blinkers an the cruise control an under the four screws that were not loose .could that be it. any advice, an,LOU IF YOU DONT HAVE ANYTHING NICE TOO SAY...thanks again, chrissy

HI LOU , I GUESS IT,S YOU THAT I SHOULD BE THANKING , FOR DIRECTING ALL THOSE STEERING THREADS MY WAY.SO THANK YOU.AND DOES ANYONE else HAVE ANYMORE SUGESTONS. MY STEERING wheel problem does not affect my steering it just wiggles back an forth when you put preasure on it or while your jest resting your hands.thats why we all though it was the 4 bolts but its not...and i;m not takeing apart again unless one of you-all know;s for certain what i;m talking about. thats funny huh .cause I DONT KNOW WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT,SO HOW COULD YOU

ILOVEROBO said:
.when i had it apart, what looked like a round plasit ball behind the blinkers an the cruise control an under the four screws that were not loose .
As far as I remember, the plastic ball should be above the four bolts (the ones you need to tighten are in fact bolts, not screws), not under them. Were the bolts the Torx kind? Did you get as far down the column, as removing the pivot pins?

im looking in to this right now as my wheel is very loose

took the wheel off and now im stuck at the layer under that

do i need to buy a new bushing for the system or just tighten everything

thanx
nick

i tried the torx bolts but that didnt do the trick

im not stuck tring to get the ignition lock cylinger out cant find the set screw

got the lock plate off and everything else just stuck on the ignition

To be perfectly honest, I've seen this come up enough that I'll probably do my own writeup - except I've got a spare column (came with the new transmission I got, along with the rest of the truck...) and I'll just swap and then disassemble the old one, taking LOADS of pix as I go.

One thing tho - have either a Polaroid or a decent digital camera on hand, and take LOTS of pictures (especially if you have a digital!) You'll refer to them quite a bit as you put things back together, and I find that when I just try drawings/sketches, I end up missing some critical detail... I keep a small Polaroid in my tool box for just this sort of occasion...

5-90

k well heres the thing after much serching by both my self and my autoshop teacher we cant seem to find the screw that holds the ignition lock cylinder in

we dont know what is holding it in

all these write ups state that its like just right there and you pull it out im really not sure

im going to take it apart again tomm and ill post up a pic of were im stuck not able to find the retaining screw

thanx for all the help so far
-nick

As for that key cylinder, on both of my '88's, they use a very small "slot" to hold the cylinder. Try using a very tiny (jewelry style) flat screwdriver or a stiff piece of wire to reach into the slot and depress the catch pin.
As for the looseness in the wheel have you checked your steering box bolts for looseness or maybe even sheared bolts. My D/D MJ had 2 bolts sheared that had stayed in the holes, but caused a feeling like yours. I found the "fun" way what the trouble was on the way to Harlan this past friday (on the interstate, no less).

You cant miss the bolt holding in the ignition cylinder. Search for Chevy Steering colum fix on google.

Its fairly easy to do once you look at it and figure it out.

summitlt said:
You cant miss the bolt holding in the ignition cylinder. Search for Chevy Steering colum fix on google.

Its fairly easy to do once you look at it and figure it out.

well its not that easys since both myself and my auto shop teacher that has seen it allbeen w/ the school for at least 30 yrs cant find it

ill look for the pin

thanx
-nick

ren said:
As for that key cylinder, on both of my '88's, they use a very small "slot" to hold the cylinder. Try using a very tiny (jewelry style) flat screwdriver or a stiff piece of wire to reach into the slot and depress the catch pin.
As for the looseness in the wheel have you checked your steering box bolts for looseness or maybe even sheared bolts. My D/D MJ had 2 bolts sheared that had stayed in the holes, but caused a feeling like yours. I found the "fun" way what the trouble was on the way to Harlan this past friday (on the interstate, no less).

is the slot above, below, next to what in positon to the cylinder

Back