• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FYI: Carter Fuel Pump for OEM Bosch

BSD

NAXJA Forum User
I changed my fuel pump today on my 88 XJ 4.0 AW4. I thought I would give a heads up to those who do the same job and use the search function. The Carter brand pump I got from the parts store needed some minor adaption. The poles were reversed, easy fix. Also, the length was a bit different as well as the top. The former was resolved easily enough. The later required a bit of filing on the top of the bracket that holds the fuel pump in place. In case you are wondering, yes, I double checked to make sure they had the right part number. I guess there are some differences with the aftermarket ones.
BSD

It is common to have the problems with the Carter pump as you described. Glad you caught the switch in terminals. That bites quite a few people. Fuel pumps are a PIA on XJ's. They seem to crap out pretty regularly. The only two brands I have had good experience with are OEM and Holley Performance.

Yeah, I would have liked an OEM just for the fit. It would not bother me as much if it was in an area that was easier to get to and not as susceptible ot being shaken. However, a wife and three kids on one income helps make a lot of decisions for you. On the positive side, I di notice a significant improvement in pickup and start up. Funny how giving your rig the fuel it needs can do that.
BSD

Back