• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Correct wheel backspacing?

XJ Wagon

NAXJA Member #1360
I am getting the RE 3.5 super-flex, SYE/driveshaft and new rockcrawler type steel wheels either on a 15 X8 for 31's or 16 X 8 for 31 equivalent. What would be the correct backspacing? 4 or 4.5 or other? I think I want the tires in the fender wells but not to rub on either side. I have found post stating that bs from stock to 5.0 is best.

Let me know what ya'll think.

Thanks.

4.5" should work well and allow the tire to tuck into the fenderwell better than a 3.75 or 4" BS. Never heard of a 5" BS rim.

balloo93 said:
4.5" should work well and allow the tire to tuck into the fenderwell better than a 3.75 or 4" BS. Never heard of a 5" BS rim.
I think stock wheels are 5" BS.

Cragar Soft 8s come in 5" BS.

if stock is 5" BS then yes. I've got 31x10.5 tires on stock rims on the MJ. They rub JUST shy of full lock. I'm looking at getting some WJ LCAs to get some more clearance.

87manche said:
if stock is 5" BS then yes. I've got 31x10.5 tires on stock rims on the MJ. They rub JUST shy of full lock. I'm looking at getting some WJ LCAs to get some more clearance.

Stock BS is 5.25. I don't know if only going to a 5 is enough to keep from rubbing on the LCA's. The RE super-flex 3.5 come with LCA's. Don't know if that makes a difference.

I don't want to rub on either side. From what I have read the 4.5 bs seems to be the most refered BS for 31's.

I run 33/12.50's on 4.50" BS 15 x 8's. The tires rub the RE LCA's some, but not enough to worry about. I don't seem to be losing any steering radius that I would really like to have back nor is the rub on the RE arm a problem as they are round anyway.

I like the 4.50" because the tires are not way out to the sides, they stuff fairly well with appropriate trimming and the cops don't hassle me as much about flare coverage. Stock flares will almost cover 12.50" wide tires on these wheels.

BTW, stock backspacing is 5.25" on a 15 x 7 wheel.

John90XJ said:
I run 33/12.50's on 4.50" BS 15 x 8's. The tires rub the RE LCA's some, but not enough to worry about. I don't seem to be losing any steering radius that I would really like to have back nor is the rub on the RE arm a problem as they are round anyway.

I like the 4.50" because the tires are not way out to the sides, they stuff fairly well with appropriate trimming and the cops don't hassle me as much about flare coverage. Stock flares will almost cover 12.50" wide tires on these wheels.

BTW, stock backspacing is 5.25" on a 15 x 7 wheel.

John, could we see some pics of your rig?

L.R.

Here's a fairly representative shot.

I'm running stock, later model ('95 I think) flares that have been trimmed and raised. The front flares are a little wider in the front than they are the rear of the flare, providing some extra coverage where the sheetmetal starts to transition narrower on the front fender.

The fenders have been cut front and rear. I'm running THOR 1/4 guards in the rear and have trimmed about as close to those as I can and still run a screw-on stock flare.

I'm really happy with this setup.

NachesSnow.jpg

XJ Wagon said:
I am getting the RE 3.5 super-flex, SYE/driveshaft and new rockcrawler type steel wheels either on a 15 X8 for 31's or 16 X 8 for 31 equivalent. What would be the correct backspacing? 4 or 4.5 or other? I think I want the tires in the fender wells but not to rub on either side. I have found post stating that bs from stock to 5.0 is best.

Let me know what ya'll think.

Thanks.

4.5" should be perfect. I ran 4.5" backspacing with a 4.5" lift and 32x11.5's with very minimal rubbing and no trimming. Now i run 35x12.5 with 4.5" backspacing with no rubbing. .. at least, no backspacing related rubbing (the 35's touch in a few spots, but its acceptable)

http://shell.exo.com/~cal/4x4/xj/stuffed/

-C

Back