• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What lockers can hold up?

Superhonky74

NAXJA Forum User
I am just looking for some information on experience. I am looking to up grade my axles ( D30/D44) in my 87' XJ. What brands are reputable and what should I stay away from? I am looking for gears, lockers, and front axle shafts for the D30. If I start with gears and lockers now, can I add a 30- spline front axle shafts later? Need some advice from the experts. Oh yeah! What are the largest gears that I can run in my axles with out any mods? Thanks.

I believe the tallest you can run is 4.88's.

As for lockers, go with whatever you can get a good deal on. Most lunchbox style lockers do the exact same thing with tiny differences here and there...they all work on the same principal and there arent really any bad ones to stay away from. If you want to put one in the rear i would suggest either a selectable or a spool...ESPECIALLY if you drive in any kind of ice/snow...either always on, or always off keeping things predictable. I dont like the changes in handling that an auto locker in the rear causes when you get on and off the gas.

tealcherokee said:
when you up grade the shafts, i beleive the kits come with an air locker

It has the option of an ARB or a detroit.

If you run the super30/super44 axles, make sure to buy your own spare, because you wont be able to use stock shafts for spares and there will not be very many to borrow.

aussie lockers are excellent. Easy to install and have an excellent warranty: if you break it, they will replace it. there are no tire size restrictions with the warranty either.

Superhonky74 said:
I am just looking for some information on experience. I am looking to up grade my axles ( D30/D44) in my 87' XJ. What brands are reputable and what should I stay away from? I am looking for gears, lockers, and front axle shafts for the D30. If I start with gears and lockers now, can I add a 30- spline front axle shafts later? Need some advice from the experts. Oh yeah! What are the largest gears that I can run in my axles with out any mods? Thanks.

The lowest gears for the D30 are 4.88's, they go lower for the D44. Like has been said, the lunchbox lockers (replace the spider gears) are virtually all the same, so the warrenty and price can be the deciding factors. As far as strength and problems, a full carrier Detroit locker will be stronger and have less problems than a luchbox locker, and will have less noise and will operate slightly smoother. The lunchbox lockers are pretty reliable, but you do hear of people having a problem with them now and then. A full Detroit will likely be the most reliable and trouble free piece of equipment you'll ever add to your rig. You get what you pay for, so it's up to you and your budget, they will all work well.

Selectable lockers are another choice, and it just depends on what you're after. Some people swear by selectables and some people swear at them. They give you the choice of running open on the street and locked on the trail, but are more expensive and more subject to maintenance issues. They all have good reputations.

The only way to upgrade the D30 to 30 spline inners is to get the Super 30 kit that comes with an ARB. The carrier/locker has to be the same spline size as the axles, since the axles go into the carrier, so you can't change them later. Chromo 27 spline axles hold up pretty well, so it depends on what you're long term goals are if it's worth going to the 30 splines now. IF you want a front selectable locker, and IF you plan on going to chomo front shafts, then you might as well get the 30 spline stuff to begin with. Otherwise, an auto locker and 27 spline chromo shafts are still a good choice.

Oh, BTW, there are TONS of people who are happily driving rigs with automatic lockers in the rear and have no problems whatsoever with their driving characteristics.

Last edited:
I appreciate everyones responses. I have a clearer idea of what to do now. I have not heard of the 27- spline D30 shafts. How will they hold up with gears, lockers, and 35" tires? If they are pretty stout, then I am better off with the 27- spline instead of the 30.

Superhonky74 said:
I appreciate everyones responses. I have a clearer idea of what to do now. I have not heard of the 27- spline D30 shafts. How will they hold up with gears, lockers, and 35" tires? If they are pretty stout, then I am better off with the 27- spline instead of the 30.

Stock dana 30 axles have 27 spline shafts, only the lastest kits offer a upgrade to 30 spline inner axle shafts like their big brother the dana 44.

Troy

Yes, D30's come with 27 spline axles. Now, a number of companies sell 27 spline chromo axles for the D30, which is what most people upgrade to. Superior makes a Super 30 kit that uses an ARB and 30 splines inners, and they also sell a kit for 30 spline outers that comes with a 30 spline unit bearing hub. Warn sells 27 spline inners, and a 5 on 4.5" lug pattern hub kit with 27 spline chromo stubs, and a 5 on 5.5" lug pattern kit with 30 spline chromo stubs. I know that Yukon and Alloy USA sell 27 spline axles, I'm not aware of a 30 spline kit from them.

I would not use the 30 spline unless you have the cash to buy an extra set for trail spares. The chance of someone having a 27 spline over a 30 spline is much better should you break a shaft on the trail.

I have the Warn hub kit in 5x4.5 with the alloy shafts. I beat the hell outta my rig and have had really good luck with the Warn shafts. I know a few people who have snapped the Superior shafts one very easy trails.

Don't forget that when you want to go to lower gears and use a luchbox locker, you will have to find a 400 series stock carier to accept the lower gearing in the dana 30. If you have to change your carrier and pay someone to set it up and buy an install kit, it makes no sense to me not to go with a locker. So if you are planning on going with a locker and chromoly shafts, go with the super 30 ARB kit. I have twisted too many 27 spline warn chromoly shafts to recommend them. Also depending on the year of your rig, make sure to order your chromoly shafts with the larger u-joint, which may require different outer shafts. I have had good luck with the warn 5 on 4.5 hub kit, but you could get a couple of outer shafts for a yard from a later xj with the larger joint.

Last edited:
Back