• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4 Lo = No Go!

x550x

NAXJA Forum User
My 01 Sport (NP231) won't go into 4 Lo! I followed the proper procedure to get it there. It doesn't go all the way in though. It feels like it wants to, but when I put the tranny back in drive and try to move, it slips out of 4 Lo. I am thinking the linkage needs adjustment?? I have never adjusted it before.

I am planning on changing the fluid with some fresh Dex III this weekend. I would like to check it out while I am down there.

What should I look for? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

When you drain the fluid,look for the locking bolt on the TC linkage,loosen it,move shifter handle into 4-low,move shift arm on case until it is enguaged(sp) ,tighten locking bolt.
Wayne

Is the bolt in an obvious location? Should I have someone in the Jeep to run it through the gears while I am underneath?

x550x said:
Is the bolt in an obvious location? Should I have someone in the Jeep to run it through the gears while I am underneath?

Its right there ,on the drivers side,a little lube on the threads and rod will help.
WEAR EYE protection lots of crud under there,at least on my Jeep.
Wayne
Pull it in 4-low before you crawl under.

Check under the black cover that is under your 4x4 shift lever. I had over $5 in change under there when I bought mine, something could be in there preventing you from getting the handle all the way back into lo.

98XJSport said:
Check under the black cover that is under your 4x4 shift lever. I had over $5 in change under there when I bought mine, something could be in there preventing you from getting the handle all the way back into lo.

same here-

just a week or two ago I found a big keychain with a tire pressure gauge on it wrapped around the lever- removed it and 4-lo worked fine.-

hope its that easy for you.

B

Back