• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heating issue (Searched)

Garthbmn7

NAXJA Member #524
OK this heating issue does not concern the fan speed issues. Got that issue also but found info on that. What happens is my heat is always on the hottest temp. If I turn it to cold its still hot. The dial acts and feels like there is a spring somewhere that wants to pull it back to the hot side of the dial. Any ideas appreciated especially before I drive 1100 miles this weekend!
98 sport, 4.0L 155K miles
Thanks
Garth

Not sure about a 98 but when you slide from blue-to-red (on my 87) it moves a cable (right by passenger's left knee underneath dash). Maybe something is impeding the movement of that cable. If you've done work on the stereo recently, there could be some wires bunching up at the back of the climate control module where that cable attaches. I've had that happen plenty times. I believe that cable controls the flapper doors for heat, etc.

If you have the same setup, stick your head underneath there while sliding the hot-cold back and forth and see if you see anything.

It's the "temp mix" control deal, and Yes, you've got an issue that I'm afraid is a dealer only fix. Even w/ a FSM, you're looking at hours of work, and the part is a dealer only buy. Have them do it, and don't go to a non-Mopar shop. They will NEVER get it right. went through it two years ago on my 97 XJ. Sux, I know. Feel lucky it is already on HOT, or you're double screwed in the winter. (Mine was stuck on cold when the cable broke.)
Here's the deal. It's an expensive pain, if I rememebr, and the dealer has had to re-do it twice since! (hang on to your paperwork, they will cover it after it doesn't work again.) Usually doesn't happen untilt the next season, when you're changing heat modes, but it will inevitably break again.
Take this hint, though. WHILE THEY HAVE THE DASH APPART, have them replace the defrost/floor solenoid. Mine started going a few months later, and it's a huge-ass pain as well, since the whole dash has to come apart again. This one only allows floor or face heat, and makes it impossible to use the floor/defrost, which is where I pretty much keep the control for five months a year (NW Wisconsin). When it goes it's either face or floor, nothign else.
This is a huge Mopar-PITA that should have been covered on every warranty because they all break, and are never right afterword.
Bitch nicely to the dealer, and make SURE you try it out a lot for the next few months after the fix. It will feel stiff for a bit, and then suddenly it will "pop" and be screwed again.
trust me, it sux big, and it's somewhere are $250 to fix alone.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
good luck. Maybe live w/it during winter, and set aside a lil each month to fix it in the spring.

BTW- Ignore all the non-97-01 XJ answers. They are completely irrelevant and the 97-01 XJs are completely different. Haynes manuasl are no hlep, and due to soem ridiculous copywrite issue, they can't post FSM manuals on NAXJA anymore. I think the download police got on them. Look for links maybe, or if you're lucky enough to know someone w/Mopar service computer access...
To quote Pres. Cinton, "I feel your pain."

Back