• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LCA Psgr Axle Mount repair or...

cyberbackpacker

NAXJA Forum User
well my family's luck with cars continues. This evening my wife had to swerve in the 90 laredo to avoid being hit by some schmuck in Land Rover. She is okay, that is the most important thing.

The rig really is lucky too. My wife hit the curb and a light post in the deal, and if it had to get hit, I do not think she could have it in any better spots, all things considered.

But... the passenger tire got popped, the fender messed up, and the real problem is the axle lca mount. It got seriously bent... looks like one spot might be separated/separating from the tube. I will try to take pics and post them tomorrow in case that helps.

So, anyone know what it would take to fix this? I do not have the skill to cut it off and weld it on myself. How much would something like this cost?

Should I just look for a replacement D30 with 3.55's and swap it out? This is the route I am thinking of going, because I know I could do it myself.

Any suggestions?

So, the 31" Daytons I had up for swap are no longer available, and I also got 2 new BFG AT's tonight because of this-- $99 each at Costco.

Thanks.

-Kevin
cyberbackpacker

Last edited:
Kevin,
It is good to hear that the wife is ok. The way the idiots drive this time of year it could have been ugly.
I think there are some threads on the subject on the tech forum(s). I bent the snot out of one of my lower mounts last year. I used a BFH and some clamps w/blocks (to control bend locations) and re-did a couple of spots of the factory welds. With some 2 x 1/8 chopped up at 45s I gusseted the H377 out of the inside and outside, front and back. For good measure I put a plate across the front tying one side to the other. I did the drivers side too just in case I ever hit that rock going the other way on the trail. :laugh3:

TIM

Last edited:
Tim. thanks for the info. I will do another search on "repair" methods. My first cursory search last night just popped up a lot of threads on adjustable, recommendations, etc. I think I was also just still a bit in the "adrenaline" stage last night and might not have been the most observant either.

I'm glad she is okay. Especially for the holidays.

Just an update and a HUGE "Thanks!"

It is six and half months since the initial post, but the Jeep is finally repaired. After driving at speeds below 45mph, no freeway driving, and crazy DW from the bent axle and subsequent nasty geometry, the rig is rolling again.

Over two LONG saturdays in the last month TIM BJORK helped me swap in new front and rear axles (w/3.73's... better than 3.07's by leaps and bounds) as well as lift it at the same time.

We had a couple hiccups along the way, but I am beyond pleased to have the rig "back".

We did all the work in Tim's driveway, with his plethora of tools, and this past weekend we hit a snag and he even let me keep it parked there until it was finished and I picked it up yesterday.

There is absolutely no way I could have done this on my own...

Again, THANKS to TIM and by extension to the entire socal naxja crew. I have only met a few of you guys but you all have been very helpful and encouraging. It is greatly appreciated.

And best of all not only can my 2 year old who loves my "jeech" get to ride in it again, his new sibling that we are expecting Feb 2. can too!

Thanks again.

-Kevin
cyberbackpacker

Back