• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

is this all i need

Not sure what one but I would really consder one from Tom Woods. IMO it's a better kit with better customer service.

If your talkin about the hack-n-tap... bleeeaaaaaqqqqqquuueee!
unless you have an NP242. otherwise spend the money on a real SYE. use a t-case drop if you need to save up for the good one.

Rawbrown said:
If your talkin about the hack-n-tap... bleeeaaaaaqqqqqquuueee!
unless you have an NP242. otherwise spend the money on a real SYE. use a t-case drop if you need to save up for the good one.

Agreed!!

A lot of people might tell you from their own personal experience that the hack n tap works fine. I'll tell you from my experience they suck. Do a search on hack n tap, tom woods and jb conversions. Figure out what works best for you and go for it.
(jb conversions 199 tom woods driveshaft 240)

A hack and tap for a 242 is better because of the shaft, right?

(I researched for the 231 when I was planning the conversion, only to have my 4WD donor to be 242 [rolleyes])

im about to get a tom wood 231 hd tail shaft conversion and cv shaft for 585 shipped. ive heard nothing but good things about thier work. im giddy like a schoolgirl just thinkin about it.

My opinion on the hackntap. depends on the tcase. 242 i would do the RE H&T. why because the TW kit is a glorified hack n tap. If your paying a core charge then your getting a reworked shaft. why pay $500 for that? I dunno? although I do have a couple of tweaks for the 242 RE H&T to make it more reliable.
but for the NP 231, Advanced adapters all the way. Thats the only kit you should consider for a standard HD SYE. There is no substitute.

Rawbrown said:
My opinion on the hackntap. depends on the tcase. 242 i would do the RE H&T. why because the TW kit is a glorified hack n tap. If your paying a core charge then your getting a reworked shaft. why pay $500 for that? I dunno? although I do have a couple of tweaks for the 242 RE H&T to make it more reliable.
but for the NP 231, Advanced adapters all the way. Thats the only kit you should consider for a standard HD SYE. There is no substitute.

UH? The 500 option for TW give you a brand new heavy duty output shaft (way bigger), no core charge.

I like my PORC HD sye ($169 shipped) and stock front XJ shaft ~$50.

Back