• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Power switch

jpfreak

NAXJA Member #1208
If I remove the switch (I've decided that I don't need that, the fog switch, or rear wipers anymore) will the transmission default to power mode?

Thanks

Chris

jpfreak said:
If I remove the switch (I've decided that I don't need that, the fog switch, or rear wipers anymore) will the transmission default to power mode?

Thanks

Chris
No if you want powermode you need to wire the +12v to the TCU power mode input. But be advised gas mileage is lousy in Power mode.

You'll have to meter the switch with a ohm meter and see if it's open or closed when in the "P" position. You may need to connect the two wires to keep it in the sport mode. On second thought, you may want to keep it and when gas prices get back to $3 a gallon drive it in the "Comfort" mode. My 93 VW Eurovan calls the switch Sport or Economy.

JoBo

JoBo said:
You'll have to meter the switch with a ohm meter and see if it's open or closed when in the "P" position. You may need to connect the two wires to keep it in the sport mode.

JoBo
It is in the closed position when in power mode.

I believe the power switch went away in about '92 and they were all wired for power mode only after that time.

PaulJ said:
I believe the power switch went away in about '92 and they were all wired for power mode only after that time.
True but a have a 95 with no Power switch and it feels to me like the changed the programing all together.
My 89 is much better in snow in Comfort mode and the mileage is 3 mpg :) better.

Last edited:
just change it to a matching swithch for all your new ones if your putting otheres in there spot.I wish i had pics of mine but i cut all the centers of the swithch pannels out and made alluminum inserts to hold 3 switches so 6 swithches 3 on either side of the colume.IF you want pics I might be able to take some and post them for you.

littlebluexj said:
just change it to a matching swithch for all your new ones if your putting otheres in there spot.I wish i had pics of mine but i cut all the centers of the swithch pannels out and made alluminum inserts to hold 3 switches so 6 swithches 3 on either side of the colume.IF you want pics I might be able to take some and post them for you.

I'd like to see pics...if you had the time :wave:
thanks

CaptTrev

Back