• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fender flare options

CJHVN

NAXJA Forum User
I've seen these options, wondering if there are any others?

TJ Flares - Don't like the look
TJ rear flares front/rear - Don't have 4 rears
YJ rear flares front/rear - Don't have any YJ rears
Modified Stock Flares - Have them
Bushwacker - Don't want to spend the money
Rusty's - Don't like how brittle they are;;;

Are there any other ideas to get some tire coverage that's reasonably cheap, but effective? I'm throwing mud/snow/salt all over my Jeep and it's getting old....

I used vinyl garden edge molding from Home Depot to pass inspection. It was hideous but worked.

inspect3.jpg

I wouldn't recommend that as a permanent fixture.

Wow, that is, cheap and ugly. You pretty much stated the options I know of. Depends on what you are looking for. TJ flares measure the same from the fender they just look bigger. Wackers are ugly and rediculous in price. I modified stockers, works for me. But the tire does stick out a little and driving through water with the window down and the wheel turned -someone's getting wet.

BingBing said:
Wow, that is, cheap and ugly.

Yep. They were on the rig for a period of about 30 hours altogether. Put 'em on the night before inspection, went to inspection, passed, came home, ripped 'em off.

I now run TJ flares (and actually took the time to wire up the little marker light), which did give me more coverage than stock, but not enough to cover 33x12.5s on 15x8 wheels with 4" BS. Flares from a Rubicon are 1" or so wider and would have been perfect, except they're hard to find. If you want a less square-ish look, I've seen people run Explorer flares before, but they don't cover all that much.

I have a set of TJ flares. I just don't like how they look on the front. I know I won't be spending the cash on Bushwackers or Rusty's for sure.

I'd just like some coverage to keep the crap from covering my Jeep while I drive. At first it was kinda cool looking to watch the water shoot up from the tires. Now it's just getting old......

I used some universal 4" rubber J.C. Whitney flares. They cost $50 for a set of two, so it costs $100 for all four corners. When I cut the fenders, I bent some of the extra metal at 90 degrees and screwed the flares to the bent metal. Since they are rubber, they hold up quite well. Here are some pics of my flares in action on "Slickrock" at Tellico this summer:

37873139_591a0fae47.jpg

38711121_f0c916612d.jpg

Last edited:
if you attach tj flares good you can't beat them....well you can beat the crap out of them, they always bounce back. This rubermaid stuff is great.

I have a set of Flexy Flares from JC Whittney. They are the kind that just screw to a flat surface so you dont have 2 bend up an edge or anything like that other guy did. I think they also look a little better. $100 for all for

100_1617.jpg

100_1616.jpg

100_1619.jpg

Those look very close to the stock flares, hockey. I'm guessing you don't get much more coverage than stock, eh?

I'll figure something out. Thanks for the ideas guys!

junkyard tj flares cheap and don't break as easily like some of the aftermarket ones do

I've been lookin at 'Flare Options' for the past few months now, after I trimmed my '00

I'm lookin for flares other than OEM. IMO, They just don't match up after you cut em, and don't look all that good after...

I like the TJ/YJ flares idea. Using 4 rear flares (I don't like the front flare look on the XJ) haven't been able to get my hands on any...

Bushwackers stick out too far.. especially for my 3", 31" combo.

Here's somthin I thought of... I'm 95% sure no one has mentioned it or done it... can one use pre-97 flares? They seem a little bit bigger than 97+ flares... anyone tried it?

Bowzer said:
I've been lookin at 'Flare Options' for the past few months now, after I trimmed my '00

I'm lookin for flares other than OEM. IMO, They just don't match up after you cut em, and don't look all that good after...

I like the TJ/YJ flares idea. Using 4 rear flares (I don't like the front flare look on the XJ) haven't been able to get my hands on any...

Bushwackers stick out too far.. especially for my 3", 31" combo.

Here's somthin I thought of... I'm 95% sure no one has mentioned it or done it... can one use pre-97 flares? They seem a little bit bigger than 97+ flares... anyone tried it?
Yes, you can use pre-97 flares. Someone did a picture/write-up thread here not long ago. IIRC they do offer more opening and coverage than the 97+ flares, but not much.

If ya like Rustys, his web site says he is soon to release an improved more flexable flare.

Back