• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford 9" Nod Case

xj4life

NAXJA Forum User
What should i get? Should i go with the Strange Pro Nod case ($330) or the S-Series ($240). Price is of some concern.

Final axle specs will be 35 spline, spool, 5.13's, Moser shafts. Axle will be under an XJ with 4L and 36" TSL's.

Last edited:
Currie Hi9 is only good for about 200hp and no lower than 4.56 gears.
True Hi9 is a real reverse 9" gearset and is good for something like 500hp and any gearing. I'd go Currie, Superior, Alloy USA before Moser. The need for for a nodular case is not that critical, but the large bearing case is.

Is the S-Series the 3.06 pinion bearing support case? The 3.25 support bearing is better, but is it really necesary for your needs. By the way, where are you getting those prices? The Strange cases I have seen have prices of $160 and $270.

FYI, I went with the 3.25 Strange/35 Spline/Detroit for my 9 inch. When I priced a True Hi9 with the same setup it was about $800 more.

Greg

A stock third member with 31spline chrom shafts will plenty strong behind a 4.0L, even with 36's.
And there cheap, and easy to find.

MontanaXJ said:
Is the S-Series the 3.06 pinion bearing support case? The 3.25 support bearing is better, but is it really necesary for your needs. By the way, where are you getting those prices? The Strange cases I have seen have prices of $160 and $270.

FYI, I went with the 3.25 Strange/35 Spline/Detroit for my 9 inch. When I priced a True Hi9 with the same setup it was about $800 more.

Greg

you can get the S-Series in the 3.25 bearing size. i was just getting those prices of ebay. thanks for the info, i think i'll just get the cheaper case.

i realize this is overkill for 36" tires and a 4.0L, but that's the point.

i'd love the True Hi-9 but its just not in the budget and i cant justify it in a rear application. i might build a front 9"/60 hybrid and then i'll go Hi-9.

Last edited:
xj4life said:
What should i get? Should i go with the Strange Pro Nod case ($330) or the S-Series ($240). Price is of some concern.

Final axle specs will be 35 spline, spool, 5.13's, Moser shafts. Axle will be under an XJ with 4L and 36" TSL's.

I built exactly what you described, with the strange third member. I have right at 2 grand in the rear with all new stuff except the housing. I have the 5.13 gears, spool, custom 35 spline alloy shafts, 36'' tsl/sx. All hard wear is new also (bearings, spring perches, shock mounts, bla bla bla). This price included labor on seting the gears and all that stuff that I could not do. I installed the axle myself under the xj.

It is a piece of mind not worring about breaking the rear end. Spend the money on the strange. It is one of the best place to put your dollar. Then all you have to worry about is the front axle. Besides, I am sure that you have blown a bill on worse things than your rear axle. God knows I have many times. :laugh3:

Back