• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how can you tell if it got an lsd

aduke

NAXJA Forum User
im looking at a parts jeep its a 1998. it has full skids so i wonder if its got an lsd. there is no tag on the diff. can you jack up one wheel and if it that wheel spins does it have an lsd???????

jack it off the ground, put in neutral and spin one rear tire and see what happens.

aduke said:
ok so if the tire that is in the air spins it most likely has an lsd?

Jack up the entire rear end off the ground, get some jack stands. If both tires move then there is your answer.

ZachMan said:
Jack up the entire rear end off the ground, get some jack stands. If both tires move then there is your answer.

umm how about simpler: jack up the rear off the ground, make sure it's in N and that the parking brake is not set and then turn one wheel by hand. If the other wheel turns in the same direction, you got LSD, if it turns in the opposite LSD is not installed or it's dead. Btw, short of using a torque wrench and a special adapter you cannot determine how strong the LSD is.

factory LSD's are hard to check like that, how a LSD works is, one wheel starts to spin, it heats up the diff fluid, then the clutches grab giving power to both wheels

best way to tell is to pull the diff cover

Kejtar said:
umm how about simpler: jack up the rear off the ground, make sure it's in N and that the parking brake is not set and then turn one wheel by hand. If the other wheel turns in the same direction, you got LSD, if it turns in the opposite LSD is not installed or it's dead. Btw, short of using a torque wrench and a special adapter you cannot determine how strong the LSD is.

You just described the same thing I did :speepin:

Kejtar said:
LOL I'm blaming this one on cold medicine!

LOL, its cool :wave:

Last edited:
:doh:

or, on the 98 you could just look in the glove box, the ones that came equipped with a factory lsd have a sticker on the inside of the glove box lid

Are you freakin kidding me? your kidding right? come on, Tell me your kidding. That way I don't have to SPOBI your ass back to differential 101. At least put a smilly face in there or something so we know your kidding!
The easiest way to tell if you have a TL and its working is the next time your making a tight right hand turn at a stopsign, Gun it. If the inside tire spins like mad then you either have an open diff or a worn out TL. If it chirps a little and hooks up then its a TL and its working good.
next option is to look at The diff cover itself. there should be two tags. a small one on one bolt with a 3.5 on it. Thats the axle ratio. The other tag will have build info on it. read the code and look for a TL or T/L.
Still no clue then you can jack up one wheel with it in neutral. If you can turn the wheel and the driveshaft rotates then you do not have a LS. if you cannot turn the wheel then you do have a LS.
I'm not even going to address how a LS works because that wasn't the question asked. If you want to know then start a new thread.
tealcherokee said:
factory LSD's are hard to check like that, how a LSD works is, one wheel starts to spin, it heats up the diff fluid, then the clutches grab giving power to both wheels

goodburbon said:

or, on the 98 you could just look in the glove box, the ones that came equipped with a factory lsd have a sticker on the inside of the glove box lid
OK, thats about as easy as driving it... hasta

john mitchell said:
Rawbrown: He's looking at a PARTS JEEP. That would say to me that the rig is not drivable. Otherwise your way is by far the easiest way.
I dunno. its kind of a tossup. is it easier to spin the tires or open the glove box? :dunno:
Or just skip to option #5. Assume it to be something!!!

tealcherokee said:

Maybe some kind of Torsen rear end in a late model rig, but not a normal limited slip like a Tracloc, Powerlock, or Auburn. In those, the preload on the clutch discs forces them together and they hold until the torque is more than they can hold, then they slip and one wheel spins. It has nothing to do with heating up the diff fluid so they grab.

We've always spun a rear wheel with both off the ground, if both tires spin the same direction it's a limited slip, if they spin opposite directions it's open. Now, if you spin it forward and the other tire doesn't spin at all.....it's locked. :)

Back