• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

91 starting problem

Skorpia

NAXJA Forum User
my 91 cherokee was stollen . when i go it back it drove ok but i had to replace the steering wheel and colomn because of the damage they had done to it. we replaced it my dad and I but now it goes to start up but dies out as soon as the key is taken out of the starting position. could the buit in alarm be causeing this problem or did we wire something wrong or is it totaly unrelated and i just have bad luck.

If anyone has idea's please let me know.

It just might be the alarm. Try locking the doors and unlock it from the passenger front. This cured my problem until I was able to correct some wiring.

Good luck
chris

Is there any aftermarket alarm? I know that 95% of all 91 xj's do not have factory security or ignition disable it will probably be a wireing problem,check your ignition harness.Did the replacement come from same year or was it a randon year.They are not all the same. But ive been wrong before.. But as a installation tech in my past life my suggestion would be to check the colum and harness for anything grounded or out of place.

If problem started after you've replaced the steering column, then I would say that's the place to look for a problem. Most likely the wiring has come loose.

Back