• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Annoying Squeel

HaZakated

NAXJA Forum User
Specs : 2000 XJ, Dana 30 (Open), Chy 8.25 (Locked), 2" budget boost spacers in the front, 3.5" custom leaf packs in the rear, 2" TC drop kit, skyjacker 3" extended hydro shocks all around, Double Cardan front shaft. There are other modifications but I think this is all that is relevant. If you need any more specs, ask.

For about eight months I have been hearing this annoying squeel coming from below my 2000 XJ.

It is seemingly worst when it is cold outside. It sounds like a metal on metal squeel/squal. It goes away once the Jeep is warmed up for a while. However, In the summer when its 90 degrees, it does the same thing.

I put the whole Jeep up on jack stands to evaluate the squeel. I first put the Jeep in 2WD and in drive to see if it would make the sound. No squeel.

I then put the Jeep in 4WD and in drive. At first, no squeel. As I accelerated faster the sqeel began to emerge. I left the Jeep in Drive, got out, got under the Jeep to find where it was coming from. I found that it was coming from in front of the Transfer Case where the front shaft meet it.

I then changed the front shaft U-joints, Lubricated the crap out of everything, and bolted it back up.

The sound is still there. I thought it went away for a day or two after changing the joints; however, it may have been me hoping.

Could this squeel be coming from inside the transfer case? If so, is this a common problem? and how do I fix. Will a SYE fix it?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Brian

After a long, particularly dusty, vacation over the summer, I noticed a squeal from my Jeep and it was in front of the transfer case. My U joints were good. I narrowed it down to the Double Cardan joint on the front driveshaft. It wasn't the u joints them selves, but what looked to be some kind of rubber in there, IIRC. I knew the noise was coming from there and so, on a whim, I just sprayed that area liberally with some Teflon spray while the driveshaft was turning and it went away. The whole thing was more annoying than anything else. Maybe worth a shot since it can be done really quickly. Hope that helps man.

riverfever said:
After a long, particularly dusty, vacation over the summer, I noticed a squeal from my Jeep and it was in front of the transfer case. My U joints were good. I narrowed it down to the Double Cardan joint on the front driveshaft. It wasn't the u joints them selves, but what looked to be some kind of rubber in there, IIRC. I knew the noise was coming from there and so, on a whim, I just sprayed that area liberally with some Teflon spray while the driveshaft was turning and it went away. The whole thing was more annoying than anything else. Maybe worth a shot since it can be done really quickly. Hope that helps man.

I have been squirting 80-90 gear oil on it, and packing it full of lithium grease with no results. However, I will try teflon spray.

It almost sounds like a shot bearing. Rolling metal on metal. Is there a bearing that can go bad within the TC where the front shaft meets it? This is a loud squeal.

The only reason that I am asking is due to the fact that I will be starting work next week and don't want to have something blow up going down the road. I landed a co-op / internship engineering position and don't want to screw it up. The job is about a 45 minute drive each way.

Last edited:
Back