• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New guy in town... looking for a good (& reasonably priced) shop

gordynor

NAXJA Forum User
I've just moved from Maryland to the Escondido, CA area. Does anyone know of a good shop that they could recommend? I'd love to find someone that does a lot of off road rigs...

Thanks!

gordynor said:
I've just moved from Maryland to the Escondido, CA area. Does anyone know of a good shop that they could recommend? I'd love to find someone that does a lot of off road rigs...

Thanks!
To do what specifically? Gear? Fabricate?
Btw, welcome to the warmer coast.

Welcome to Cali!

No need to find a shop and pay them for this type of stuff. There are tons of guys (and a few gals) on this list that will be more than willing to help. Usually it takes persuation in the form alcoholic beverages and food.

Just post up for some help and what you and need and see what you get. BUT, there is a guy in Oceanside that may be able to help you. He does alot of the gear work for many people here. He has been known to do a little more than gears though.

His name is Ryan Brown. Screen name is RAWBROWN. His web site is his screen name dot com.

Good Luck!

BTW, what are the specs on your rig? Tell us a little more about you.

Well, I still have to regear and lock up, but the rest is pretty much done. I have a 2001 XJ with a RE 5.5 Xtreme Duty lift with Bilstein 5150s running 33x12.5 BFG ATs. I've got a few pieces of armor, a hi-flow intake (K&N, bored TB) and a Flowmaster 40 w 2.5 pipes. You know, the usual big stuf. :)

Welcome!

Welcome Local. That Rawbrown guy is an A$$hole and he moved from Oceanside to Encinitas about 5 years ago. Coils swapped and driveshaft installed? 4wpw can do that, they are local to you. But I can't badmouth another vendor so i'll just keep my mouth shut and let everyone else tell you why. Seriously Don't pay to have those things done, free beer and Pizza can entice a few locals to bring some tools and help you out. and if your not allready a member, try joining the group at www.socalxj.com (click the join us link at the bottom). There are a few more that frequent that list vs NAXJA that live very near you.

Rawbrown said:
Welcome Local. That Rawbrown guy is an A$$hole and he moved from Oceanside to Encinitas about 5 years ago. Coils swapped and driveshaft installed? 4wpw can do that, they are local to you. But I can't badmouth another vendor so i'll just keep my mouth shut and let everyone else tell you why. Seriously Don't pay to have those things done, free beer and Pizza can entice a few locals to bring some tools and help you out. and if your not allready a member, try joining the group at www.socalxj.com (click the join us link at the bottom). There are a few more that frequent that list vs NAXJA that live very near you.

Sorry Ryan, You know everything south of San Clemente is just San Diego/Oceanside to us OC guys.... LOL.

Rawbrown said:

Thanks a lot, Ryan. I think I'll take your advice and join. Looks like I may be hosting a pizza & beer party at my house not too long from now. :)

gordynor said:
Thanks a lot, Ryan. I think I'll take your advice and join. Looks like I may be hosting a pizza & beer party at my house not too long from now. :)
well post up and let us know when:laugh3:

and welcome to SO CAL

gordynor said:
Saw your request... let ya in... the both of you... yes I'm the mod...

You know another advantage to having someone help you do the job, instead of paying someone to do it?

You might get to learn to do it yourself later.

Seriously, I've been working on vehicles for about 25 years now, and the ONLY things I'll farm out anymore are tyre changes (I don't have a tyre machine. Yet.) and Smog Checks (I'm not about to get a license - I'll just move in a couple more years to a Smog-Check-free area. It's not the concept with which I have issue, it is the implementation. You'll find out...)

Take some time, buy some P&B, and get your own hands dirty once in a while - and you'll save a bloody fortune! I think I end up paying out about $100 per year for vehicle work.

5-90

5-90 said:
You know another advantage to having someone help you do the job, instead of paying someone to do it?

You might get to learn to do it yourself later.

Take some time, buy some P&B, and get your own hands dirty once in a while - and you'll save a bloody fortune! I think I end up paying out about $100 per year for vehicle work.

I'm with you on that one! However, time is becoming more of a valuable commodity these days, so I can't always get in there and get dirty as much as I'd like to. I did manage to do the rear half of my 5.5 lift, and feel pretty good about that - there are certainly some things that I'm up for. But when it comes down to it, finding the time to even try to turn the wrench can be the hardest part these days.

I'm thinking I might have some time in the first week or two of January... more details on the pending M&G to come... :)

steagall9301 said:
well post up and let us know when:laugh3:

I'm posting up... :laugh3:

Anyone interested in helping me swap out my coils on Tuesday, January 3rd (after work)? I need to swap my 4.5 XJ w/1" isolator for a pair of 4.5 ZJs. I hear that pizza and beer is the normal fare... I think I'll have the majority of the tools available. The one thing I DO NOT have is a spring compressor.

Make sure you post it in that other group also.
You shouldn't need a spring compressor. If I can make it I might but not till after work. Otherwise a few of these guys are familiar with my techniques on how I change out the springs.

Rawbrown said:
Make sure you post it in that other group also.
You shouldn't need a spring compressor. If I can make it I might but not till after work. Otherwise a few of these guys are familiar with my techniques on how I change out the springs.

Technique? All you have to do is disconnect the track bar (and limiting strap if you've got one) and then lift the unibody.

It's not rocket science. :laugh3:

You'd be suprised what I have seen been attemted. Then I walked over and kicked the springs out. Done.
you gotta know how to kick it just right... :gee:
cracker said:
Technique? All you have to do is disconnect the track bar (and limiting strap if you've got one) and then lift the unibody.

It's not rocket science. :laugh3:

Back