• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel cell

cj7xjmj

NAXJA Forum User
Right now I am doing a full exo cage on my MJ, and I want to mount a full cell in the rear. I was wondering if anyone has done this, and what pump they used? and wether or not it was an Internal or external.

Thanks

Patrick

I called Napa on that pump to get the specs, and according to my source at napa, it doesnt put out enough PSI. I know everyone is running one, and over on Pirate everyone says that is the pump to use, but my research is telling me it isnt

Patrick

cj7xjmj said:
I called Napa on that pump to get the specs, and according to my source at napa, it doesnt put out enough PSI. I know everyone is running one, and over on Pirate everyone says that is the pump to use, but my research is telling me it isnt

Patrick
who are you going to believe, the parts guy or the people that are running the parts and have proven them to work?:dunno:

cj7xjmj said:

Patrick
I generally don't pass out advice I haven't tried myself, I don't work at NAPA but I did run one of those pumps for 3 years in a stroker motor with ford motorsport injectors, it worked fine.

I just checked Napa's website and I think their info is off. Their saying that '90s EFI Ford engines that use this pump only need 4-6psi. You know that isn't true.

I guess I will just try that pump and see how it does.

Now for the next question, Poly or aluminum? with foam or with out? I have read good and bad things about both. Anyone have experience with them?

Thanks again

Patrick

I have three cracked aluminum ones, all repaired , a couple have cracked 3 or mor times. I have tried a multitude of different style mounts. I gave up and got a poly one, no foam (it deteriorates over time and clogs the fuel system) and haven't had any problems.

Second that, same for me

I am in the midsts of doing this now, I mounted the cell in the bed as shown

cell_is_in_2.gif

and just picked up an MSD pump for $105, matches darn close to the factory pump. Will be finishing the fuel system and have it running this weekend.

HTH
STROKER

Damn that thing looks small, though I guess it's fine. 10 gallon?

Anyone have any experience with using a remote filler neck on one of these? I'm lookin at that as an option because my XJ will be having a removeable soft top on the back, and I'd like to be able to fill it without taking the top all apart.

And the big question - anyone know what regulations the New Jersey DMV has about fuel cells in registered vehicles? The most I could find so far is this:

"Exposed fuel tanks must be encased. Side mounted tanks must have a protective bar to prevent rupture."

which seems hopelessly vague.

I used a stock mj tank. I made a bracket out of angle and turned it sideways. Cheap, and effective, HTH. Post up the pic of your MJ cj7xjmj, I love to see built MJ's!
P9120030.jpg

Yeah that one of the vidoes of my Junk. There are a few more of my rig over there Or you can check out my webshots page http://community.webshots.com/user/cj7xjmj

I need to up dte it, it hasnt been updated since my trip to Paragon.

Whats going on Tim... Long time no see. We will be doing Paragon and Rausch some time in april. Hope to see yo out there

Back