• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99-01 Keyless Remote for a 98?

cem

NAXJA Forum User
I have a new style, peanut shaped, remote and wonder if the dealer would be able to make it work on my 98? I know they changed between these years.

Thanks

I bet they wouldn't charge you for the attempt to program it if it didn't work.

I have the peanut remote for my 97 but I swapped in an overhead console from a 99; so this gives me the 99+ receiver board to match the 99+ remote (I hope that made sense :) ). When I had the dealer program it, they didn't even notice that the remote was the wrong style for the year of Jeep.

I'm reviving this thread to see if anyone else around here can verify the answer to this question. I also have a 99-01 fob that I would like to use with my 98.

Thanks...

from what ive read on here its 2 differant types of operating systems the older one being infared the newer being rf(longer distance operation) so i dont think the 2 are compatable i have a 98 with the older square remote ya practicly have to be inside the jeep for it to work, how handy it is!

The 98 square is definitely not infrared. It has an FCC ID number. Some of the older jeeps with square fobs were infrared, but not 97 on. My 98 fob actually has interal provision for the panic button that is not visible on the outside of the case. My guess is the 99 peanut has a different frequency and improved transmitter because of the poor range on the square one.

kennzz05 said:
from what ive read on here its 2 differant types of operating systems the older one being infared the newer being rf(longer distance operation) so i dont think the 2 are compatable i have a 98 with the older square remote ya practicly have to be inside the jeep for it to work, how handy it is!

Don't know anything about this subject other than I bought my '98 from a guy and it has a 'peanut'ish' shaped remote...
that has the buttons/words as such, (from top to bottom)
-Unlock
-Lock
~JEEP (logo)
-PANIC
The panic button does nothing for me, and I've wondered why the lights/horn don't do anything when I lock/unlock it like most other cars do??
Hmm...

citizenatlarge said:
I've wondered why the lights/horn don't do anything when I lock/unlock it like most other cars do??
Hmm...

On my 99, the lights do not flash when I lock or unlock it using the remote, and I believe it's this way on all XJ's. However, the horn does chirp when I lock it....and this feature can be turned on and off by following the instructions in your owners manual.

99XJSPORT06 said:
On my 99, the lights do not flash when I lock or unlock it using the remote, and I believe it's this way on all XJ's. However, the horn does chirp when I lock it....and this feature can be turned on and off by following the instructions in your owners manual.

well mine stoped chirpin a week ao and i didnt know hwy so i chaned the horns and it didnt do me any good. i dont have my owners manual so could anyone type it out on what to do? that would be amazing!

and whats the point of the panic if it doesnt do anythinG! i ust wanna scare some friends

habibi said:
well mine stoped chirpin a week ao and i didnt know hwy so i chaned the horns and it didnt do me any good. i dont have my owners manual so could anyone type it out on what to do? that would be amazing!

and whats the point of the panic if it doesnt do anythinG! i ust wanna scare some friends

Are your locks still locking and unlocking with the remote, it's just the horn chrip feature that's not working? If so, I would first try the instructions in your manual for turning the horn chirp feature on and off, and go from there.

habibi said:
yea thats what i dont have... i dont have the manual i was wondering if any could let me know how to make it chirp again
images

Hold down the lock button for 5-10 seconds and press the unlock button while holding down the lock button. That should turn the chirp on or off

habibi said:
anyone able to use the panic button for anything?

Scaring the everloving crap out of people in parking lots late at night when they walk past my Jeep. "Oh, sorry, must've hit the wrong button..." :D

Also great for a really annoying variation on the 'pull my finger' joke.

what dos your panic button do? mines doesnt do anything... is there a way to turn it on like the horn for locking doors? i never got a manual and ive searched some but cant seem to find a real answer. thanks

Back