• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear bumper removal, Mopar hitch install

Townie

NAXJA Forum User
Foolishly thinking I could bolt this hitch up easily; I now see I have to remove bumper to slide a bracket in & up against frame (driver's side) in order to install. How many fasteners are there to remove? I saw 4 on the bracket that I can't figure out how to access.

Any help would be most appreciated...

IF you have the nutplates used by D-C to attach the trailer hitch and/or the gas tank skid plate, the bumper brackets must be removed to install those nutplates in the "frame" rail.

Each bumper bracket is held on by four 13mm head (10x1.5mm pitch) bolts. Assuming you don't break them off, like I did when I removed my rear bumper, it's a snap to put the nutplates in, and then reinstalll the bumper.

On the late model XJ's, I think the rear exhasut hanger must also be removed to install the right hand nut plate, but others with newer XJ's can confirm this.

AZ Jeff said:
On the late model XJ's, I think the rear exhasut hanger must also be removed to install the right hand nut plate, but others with newer XJ's can confirm this.

Actually, on the late model XJs the right side nut strip is already there, and the exhaust hanger is bolted to it. It's only necessary to install one on the left side.

Yeah, the 4 bolts on the brackets look rusty, almost rounded out (yeah!), it's the top 2 that look real tricky. Probably will snap one off like I did on the rear shock upper mounts. Love that wrenchin'!

Thanks for the responses

There are also two bolts holding on the wheel well flare end caps, They are recessed where they meed the wheel well flares. Remember that 'anti-seize' is your friend, use plenty of it on reassembly and when you add your skid plate it will go much easier :D

Man you guy's make me glad I moved to the southwest. I got real tired of that constant fight against rust when I lived in the northeast. I've lived here in the southwest for 20 years and sometimes forget what a major PITA rust can be.

Back